Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42240

• Mark Abbott
  • Mark Abbott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
I am not sure if this is permitted on this forum; if not please remove!

I have just bought my first BSAC medal (Rhodesia 1896 reverse) to Tpr M. Abbott. Umtali Burghers. Can anyone recommend some interesting books covering the period?

Any help/advice would be most welcome!

Thank you.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42242

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Yes, it's allowed, there were a number of books published at the time and a little later on, actually quite a hard campaign for many of those involved, if the Matabele didn't get you there were many other interesting ways to get struck down, perhaps a good place to start would be to read "Sunshine and Storm in Rhodesia" by a certain FC Selous!
A brief look at the Supplementary Roll for the 1896 campaign in WO100/77 confirms not only the medal, but, also, Trooper Abbott to be a resident of Umtali itself.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mark Abbott

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42247

• Mark Abbott
Frank,

Very many thanks for that. I had tried the roll WO100/77 on TNA website but couldn't find him!

I really appreciate your help with this and will get myself a copy of the book you suggest.

Are records available in Zimbabwe?

Best wishes,

Mark Abbott

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42249

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mark,
No, the on line WO100/77 is a bit hit and miss, sadly, with big sections missing from the both the main and distribution rolls, but, these are now all really quite scarce medals, when I was a boy, there were two bullion dealers in Bulawayo actually buying these medals for scrap and as a result very many are lost to us forever.
Generally speaking all those Burghers would have merely signed a bit of paper, standard military conditions, however,their payment was not guaranteed and often it consisted of loot, such as cattle and so on, moreover, those fly blown scraps of paper will be long gone.
You have bought yourself a good scarce medal there, look after it.
Kind regards Frank

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42251

• Mark Abbott
Thanks for that comment.

I have always admired the medal and as this one had my initial and surname I bought it!

The only other one I had was many years ago awarded to a" F Smith Post and Telegraph Dept" but as it proved impossible to research (then!), I disposed of it. I would love to know where it is now!

It turns out that the recipient actually lived near me in Lancashire! His son was killed at Monte Cassino while serving with the Royal Artillery and is commemorated in the local church.

I have traced the book on line and have downloaded it; many thanks for that.

Kind regards

Mark

Help please 8 years 8 months ago #42253

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mark,
They are quite scarce medals, but, you do have to remain just a little bit cautious though, they were some that are completely spurious, a certain individual stole them and had them named, but, these are very rare indeed and would certainly not be encountered very often whatsoever, moreover, the particular individual is long gone, that said, I always like to buy them with something else, easy with the British Army, far less so with the local volunteers.
Regards again Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.716 seconds