• Page:

TOPIC:

Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 11 years 9 months ago #4088

• jennigal678
  • jennigal678's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Hoping to understand the circumstances of my ggUncle Charles James Douglas (aka C J Douglas). Charles was Asst. District Surg. Newcastle Division, Dannhauser. Based on letters that we have from his mother (dated Dec 1900, a month before she died), and what has been passed on in our history, somehow he became a boer prisoner (or at least not free to leave where he was). His brother Albert Edward Douglas (aka A E Douglas) went to find him and then was also apparently detained by the Boer side.
I do know that after the war, Charles's testimony was used in the trials.
Can someone help me understand what may have happened that kept him from leaving the area during the war (Boer War II)? Is it possible to get a transcript of his testimony (it was a written testimony as he had to leave the country to settle family affairs after the death of his parents). Charles never returned to South Africa, but Albert and their other brother Rev Wm M Douglas, did stay and settle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 11 years 9 months ago #4441

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
jennigal678,

That is an interesting story. Dannhauser was certainly occupied by the Boer forces between October 1899 and July 1900. If he stayed in Dannhauser, it is possible that he was under Boer control as, for example the townspeople of Dundee were (see the diary of Reverend Bailey fir details of the Boer occupation of the town).

Many people of British descent left their homes as the Boers rolled south in Natal but some will have stayed behind. There is an account from Dr G O Moorhead that he was forced to give medical assistance to the Boer forces and did so until he escaped.

In the National Archives there are documents from people who claimed losses as a result of the Boer War. It is possible that this collection of documents may contain some relevant information.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 11 years 9 months ago #4450

• jennigal678
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David

Thank you for your response :P I have found at South African archives this (below) and still need to order a copy of it. Have not found, as yet, how to get a copy of C J Douglas's testimony. A little about them (CJ and AE) is mentioned in this ( upetd.up.ac.za/thesis/available/etd-0307...icted/06chapter6.pdf ) Is there somewhere else that the testimony would be held?:

DEPOT NAB SOURCE AGO TYPE LEER VOLUME_NO I/8/73 SYSTEM 01 REFERENCE 367A/1900 PART 1 DESCRIPTION APPLICATION BY DANIEL JACOBUS DE WAAL FOR APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSION TO TAKE EVIDENCE OF DR. CHARLES, JAMES DOUGLAS FOR USE AT DE WAAL'S TRIAL. STARTING 19000000 ENDING 19000000

Re: Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 11 years 9 months ago #4451

• jennigal678
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Me again!! Thank you for the info regards Dr Moorhead. I have a suspicion that this would be the case for Charles. I'll have a look for Dr Moorhead's story.

Thank you

Re: Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 7 years 8 months ago #48114

• jennigal678
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi, after 4 years. In case you are interested, I got copies of documents related to my Uncle. He was detained by the Boers who occupied the area - allowed to stay in his home but not free to leave. He was also 'made' to give medical aid to those who needed it. He gave written statements that were used in the trials at the end of the war. He did not stay as he had to go home to Ireland to settle family affairs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, BFBSM

Re: Dr C J Douglas, Dannhauser (1900 to end of war) 7 years 8 months ago #48115

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Very interesting. Was he ever issued any medals?

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds