Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 10 months ago #41513

• muzz1969
  • muzz1969's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am hoping that someone might be able to help me. i have started looking into my family history, and i have been told that my Great Great Uncle Athol Harcourt Murray (1876-1903) fought in the Boer War and died in 1903 from wounds received during it, and that also my Great Grandfather Samuel Holmes Murray (1869-1916) might have as well (he was in the South African Medical Corp when he died in action in 1916). They were both born in India and moved to South Africa sometime before 1900 i think. I have found references to a Athol Murray (5059) in the Brabants Horse and a Samuel Murray an Orderly in the Imperial Hospital Corps both listed in WO127 however I live in New Zealand so i dont have access to visit the National Archives WO127 to check the relevant information to see if it was them. Is anyone able to tell me if there is a way to check this type of information online or somewhere else i might find this information?
Any help would be much appreaciated.
Richard Murray

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 10 months ago #41568

• SmallTownGirl
  • Thank you received: 2
There's a 24yo, b. India, Athol H Murray, on the 1901 census in Finchley, London. Occupation - stock broker agent, working on his own account. With him is 22yo, b. India, Percy S Murray, occupation - clerk (stockbroker), worker.

They're boarding with a family called Yule.

Do you have his death certificate (to confirm or otherwise that he died of wounds)?

Is this any help?
The following user(s) said Thank You: muzz1969

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 10 months ago #41573

• muzz1969
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes I think that is my Great-Great Uncle Athol, I didn't know he was a stock broker though, so I guess that means he likely didn't fight in the Boer war then. The other Murray is also my Great-Great Uncle Percy Simmons Murray, who I know died in 1917 during World War One. No idea who the Yule family is though. My Family at that time seems to have split up and some stayed in India, some went to England and my Great Grandfather went to South Africa, and that is the problem as South African records aren't online. Thank you for the information, it is a bit more to add to the tree.
Muzz

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 10 months ago #41581

• SmallTownGirl
  • Thank you received: 2
I've sent you a PM ...

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 9 months ago #41747

• muzz1969
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I am not sure if i can ask this, (please forgive me if i am not surpose to) but i was wondering if anyone was going to the UK National Archives in Kew, if they would be able to look up a reference for me? Looking at the reference material on this site, there is an Athol Murray listed in the 2nd Battalion of Brabants Horse, and the way i read the nominal roll is that he joined the unit on the 27/2/00 and discharged on the 11/3/00 (not sure why), so it might be possible that it was my Great Great Uncle and that he could have returned to England in time for the 1901 census (as found out by SmallTownGirl) yet still have died in 1903 from injurys he sustained earlier (i have found serveral family references to him dying from injurys from the Boer War). I believe that his records would be in WO127, so i was hoping that someone might be able to look to see if dates of birth etc matched if they were at the National Archives anyway (i am not sure how difficult it is to look up references)? His details are: Athol Harcourt Murray born in Madras, India on July 12 1876. His father was James Tough Murray, and his mother had died in 1880. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

Info on did my Great Gandfather and Great Great Uncle serve in the Boer War 8 years 9 months ago #41748

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Cannot help re you UKNA quest; however, the roll of 2/Brabant's Horse shows "5059 Tpr. Murray A" as marked "D 11.3.01" - meaning Discharged from the Regiment on that date and not on 11.3.00 as you indicated on an earlier post . Had the 11.3.00 date been correct, he would not have been entitled to the rather scarce "Wepener" clasp on their medal roll. Suggest you ascertain upon which specific date the UK census for 1901 was held. Have you looked on ancestry (with which I have no commercial connection) or have you considered getting a researcher?
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds