Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 11 months ago #20274

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
The War Office were never very keen on even the mere thought of issuing a campaign medal and clasp for a defeat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 11 months ago #20283

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
That's true Frank.

It would be an interesting exercise to rank the QSA clasps by how hard earned they were.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 11 months ago #20290

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello David,
Well, I think that for your average Mr Atkins most clasps were indeed earned the hard way, that was certainly the case at Elandslaagte for every member of the 1st Manchester's.
However, I also sometimes wonder why clasps were issued in the first place, for example, I look at Talana and I often wonder why that was even conceived, let alone issued, with the benefit of hindsight, it would look rather like a defeat to many people, notwithstanding, all the awful contempory "spin" in the press.
Regards Frank

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 11 months ago #20312

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49

djb wrote: Not a medal you will see very often!

Picture courtesy of Dreweatts

QSA (3) Elandslaagte, Colenso, Relief of Ladysmith (4916 Pte. W. G. Deeks 1st East Surrey Regt ). Erased and renamed in upright capitals.

Well I am sure Mr Deeks thought he had done enough to have earned one. First time I have ever seen a "private Colenso" and well made to boot. Thanks for posting, sadly I suspect another forum (with all due respect to them as they have some great and helpful chaps there)would frown on such a posting....it's not in the MYB syndrome.

We need to see these, it is what makes the hobby interesting.

Brian

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 11 months ago #20313

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

There was and still is a suburb called "Greyville" in Durban. It is centred on Durban's main and now only racecourse. It is the venue for one of South Africa's premier horse races, the 'Durban July'.

I suspect the surroundings have become rather seedy, which has been the fate of most of central Durban during the past two decades.

Regards
Brett

I spent my high school years growing up in Greyville, it was in those days a friendly place , reminiscent of an English village with all you needed close at hand, now sadly resembles nothing of its former glory. The quaint churches that had their bells rung on Sundays and practice every Wednesday are still there but coffee shops and businesses have taken over many of the old houses and a new generation has moved into the area, as the old folk have died or relocated. Brett is right it has become a bit on the seedy side sadly. There was a large steam locomotive depot close by, called Greyville Loco. Many of the people in the suburb were railway folk and all knew each other. Strangely it was a very "mixed community" even though the days of apartheid all races lived in harmony, we had Indian neighbours...no one seemed to mind they had all lived there since the 1920's.

Brian

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 9 years 10 months ago #20403

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
This medal went for £170 + comm this morning!

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds