Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 4 months ago #16374

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Patrick

Thank you for showing that amazing group. I feel sure there must have been a book or two written about Sister Gray.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 3 months ago #17245

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50

Not that unusual a combination - but I love the internet and google.

This pair arrived a few days ago. Named to Sergeant G R Evans Johannesburg Mounted Rifles. Used the internet and this website to get his full name George Robert Evans, googled that and got this great article on how his father was on the Council of Manly (now a suburb of Sydney - with a great beach) and got into financial difficulties, fled to Johannesburg and made a fortune on the goldmines. More to come I hope ...

manlylocalstudies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07...became-of-evans.html
Attachments:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 3 months ago #17253

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
Jon,

I wonder how many people have owned the medals in the past and never known the history that surrounds them?

Fingers crossed that you find more such information.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 3 months ago #17255

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Just wondering if we have anything on the Imperial Service Medal? It was issued from 1902 and this guy has one named to him. Just wondering why?

Doug.
Doug Jenkins
Attachments:

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 3 months ago #17258

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4529
No Doug, sorry. Nothing on the ISM so far. I have started a new thread:

www.angloboerwar.com/forum/11-research/9...-service-medal#17265

What is your man's name? I can check his entry in the LG.

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 10 years 2 months ago #17429

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Forum members
Having recently trawled through some of the dazzling posts on this topic, I have only seen x2 examples of the Ashanti Star with QSA etc (one "self awarded") and the legit example did not have a LSGC in tow. Hence this contribution.
We have here a trio composed of the Ashanti Star (unnamed), QSA with bars Belmont, Modder River, Transvaal,Wittebergen and 1901, and the EVII LSGC (the latter two named to 7760 S.Sgt.W.Furness R.A.M.C.
Walter Furness enlisted for service with the MSC at Aldershot on 25051887; age 18 y and one month, calling boilermaker and citing previous service in 1st VB, Lancashire Regt. His home service went to 11/1889, thence to Egypt until 6/1891, and home again until 12/1895. Clearly a diligent chap, he was promoted to junior NCO, obtained 1st and 2nd class certs of education and qualified as a compounder of medicines.
His active service in MSC commenced when he was assigned to duty on the West Coast of Africa and earned his Ashanti Star between 25121895 and 17011896. It does appear that the award of the Star was somewhat derided in certain circles at that time. A classic in-and-out operation with minimal casualties in combat, Ashanti was a most unhealthy zone and had a stiff "sick" list. Cpl. Furness would be well aware that he had earned his Star. An in-depth account of the 1896 Ashanti campaign may be found in the acount of the same name: ISBN 0.948251.123.
Subsequent to Ashanti, Furness qualified as Sjt. in discipline 18061896 and did further home service up to 21101899 - when he departed for SA in the transport "Nubia" and disembarking at Capetown 13111899. Gen. Methuen's force had a Field Hospital attached to each Brigade - my interpretation of the QSA roll is that Sjt. Furness was allocated to No.1 Field Hospital.
Sjt. Furness would have been a valuable addition to his unit due to his recent service in the 4th Ashanti war. No doubt he put his experience and training to good effect when earning his clasps Belmont and Modder River. Given that the tally of wounded-in action for the battles including Magersfontein would have exceeded 1500 (not including sickness), he would likely have been overwhelmed.
Later service saw the award of clasps Transvaal and Wittebergen. However, the service in Ashanti may well have caught up with Walter Furness - as he was invalided to home towards the end of May 1901.
His subsequent home service extended to 15021910; totalling 22 years and 275 days. His LSGC was announced in AO 77 of 1908 and his conduct and character affirmed as "exemplary". Those who have served under arms will recognise what that word means.
In conclusion, one of my favourite groups - despite the extensive pitting on the face and rim of the QSA. The Star and QSA were worn with pride whilst in uniform.
Regards to all who have read this far.
IL.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.623 seconds