Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

5053 Pte R. Southworth, 1st L.N. Lanc: Regt. M.I. 3 weeks 6 days ago #95019

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 308
Here's an interesting addition to a private who served in the No. 1 Malta Coy, 9th Bn. M.I. and was in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment. His QSA is named to: 5053 Pte R. Southworth, 1st L.N. Lanc: Regt. M.I.

Southworth is also entitled to a KSA with two claps. If anyone knows of its location, please contact me as I would love to reunite them.

Robert Southworth was born in Blackburn, Lancashire during 1879, having been a member of the local 4th Militia he joined the Loyal North Lancs on 31/1/1896, a month before turning 18. In 1897, he underwent Mounted Infantry training at Aldershot and was posted to Malta on 20/9/1899. He left Malta to sail to war in South Africa on 20/2/1900.

The company, known as the No 1 Malta Company consisted of 144 men, made up of one section each chosen from the 3rd Royal Warwicks, 3rd Lancashire Fusiliers, 2nd Loyal North Lancashire and the 2nd Derbys. They were under the command of Captain Pine-Coffin of the 2nd Lancashire's. Upon their Arrival they were equipped with Horses from the Remount Department, that had hurriedly gathered them from various parts of the local neighborhood, and were in poor condition. Southworth served with what was then known as the “Malta Mounted Infantry” throughout the war, until he returned home on 18/9/1902. He was discharged soon after on 31/1/1903 having completed his terms of engagement.

Capt. Pine-Coffin was a man who kept records of events and of how the title Malta Mounted Infantry had originated. The following is from his diary.

“Cape Town, March 20th. Pavonia arrived and the M.I. Was ordered to proceed to East London. The Pay Office at Cape Town decided to christen us “the Malta M.I.” - Hence our name”, and the result of this appears to have been that the authorities laboured for some time under the impression that the Company was composed of Maltese: and when later on the Company was ordered to join the Colonial Division then forming under General Brabant for the relief of Wepner, that commander expressed to his regret to Capt. Pine-Coffin that the only languages he knew were English and Dutch!”

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1, Sturgy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5053 Pte R. Southworth, 1st L.N. Lanc: Regt. M.I. 3 weeks 6 days ago #95021

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
Azyeoman,

I have searched through my list of old catalogues and cannot see his QSA I am sorry to say.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

5053 Pte R. Southworth, 1st L.N. Lanc: Regt. M.I. 3 weeks 6 days ago #95030

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 308

djb wrote: Azyeoman,

I have searched through my list of old catalogues and cannot see his QSA I am sorry to say.

Best wishes
David

Thanks for looking; very much appreciated ! You mean “KSA”, right?
Best,
John

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.334 seconds