Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 3 days ago #94893

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 308
I recently acquired a QSA with Belmont, Modder River, Transvaal and Wittenbergen clasps named to 5819 Pte. J. Richardson, KOYLI. The description said he was killed by accident at Balmoral, South Africa on 16 August 1901. My research shows that he is memorialized on the KOYLI memorial in St. Michaels's Chapel in York Minster, the York Boer War Memorial at Duncambe Park, which is across the street from the Minster, and interestingly, on the Saltwell Park Memorial in Gateshead, Tyne & Wear. FMP indicates that he was in the 2nd Battalion, KOYLI and that according to the South African Field Force book by JB Hayward & Sons that he was accidentally killed at a farm in the S. African Republic (Amersfoort District, Mpumalanga, 30 km NE of Amersfoort. It also states that on 4 June 1901, a column led by Lt. -Col. M.F. Rimington was bivouacked on the the farm. While this is all good information, I am at a loss to find Richardson's service papers or where he is buried in S. Africa. I am also a bit confused as to why he is on two memorials in York and one in Gateshead. Aside from the KOYLI Memorial in the Minster, aren't the respective Boer War Memorials in York and Gateshead for those in the forces from those counties? Any information on Richardson is most welcome. Thank you very much in advance, John
A photograph of Richardson's QSA is forthcoming, but here are the ones of the memorials.

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 3 days ago #94894

• Volunteer
  • Thank you received: 142
search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBC%2F...%2F1901%2F0031247471

Could be his mother brother and sister as listed on register of "Deceased Soldiers Effects"

www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collectio...essSource&pId=447229

Pete

PS
Same family in 1891. Name of your man looks to be Joseph, b c.1880
www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collectio...4181-0408?pId=215911

and this his family tree on Ancestry. Author is unaware of his death in SA.
www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tr...hstart=successSource

P
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 3 days ago #94895

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Excellent to see people using data from The Register of The Boer War 1899-1902.

To help other researchers perhaps an acknowledgement of the source would be in order?

www.boerwarregister.com
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman, Moranthorse1

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 3 days ago #94896

• Mr Mouse
  • Thank you received: 15
A check in Watt's book "In Memorium" provides a reference to J.Richardson being interned near Balmoral, South Africa. If you check find-a-grave that is confirmed as his place of burial. Here's the link stating that he's buried in Diamond Hill Military Cemetary...

www.findagrave.com/memorial/250523614/j-richardson

Also, there's a mention in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph of 21st Aug 1901 stating "2nd Yorkshire LI: (5819) Private J.Richardson was shot dead at Balmoral on 16th Augu 1901". Perhaps it was an accidental rifle discharge.

It doesn't provide much extra info but at least it gives you a little something more on this soldier. Good luck in your search.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 3 days ago #94898

• Mr Mouse
  • Thank you received: 15
Volunteer is correct...his name is indeed Joseph Richardson. In the Shields Daily News of 24th August 1901 it states under "Deaths"...."Richardson - accidentally shot at Balmoral, South Africa, on August 16th, aged 21 years, 5819 Private Joseph Richardson KOYLI son of Margaret and late William Richardson, formally workman in Gateshead Co-operative Stores, deeply mourned RIP."
The following user(s) said Thank You: azyeoman

Research Request on a KOYLI 1 month 2 days ago #94914

• azyeoman
  • azyeoman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 308
A sincere and hearty thank you to Volunteer, SWB and Mr Mouse for ALL the information. You have all truly helped to fill out the story of the man behind the medal and I am appreciative. For me, as for you, the recipient and his or her story is paramount to the medal itself and essential to know about. It's sad to hear how Joseph Richardson died.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.428 seconds