TOPIC:

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 2 years 2 weeks ago #82541

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (4) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Belmont, with pin-back suspender (196 Pte J.J.Hanley, Queensland M.R.) Impressed.

196 Pte James John Hanley, Queensland Mounted Rifles confirmed on nominal roll.

The Belmont clasp appears to be a late addition and the eligibility entitlement date was 23 Nov 1899 whereas Pte J.J.Hanley's unit did not depart Australia until 18 May 1900.

Sold for a hammer price of Au$850. Totals: £589. R11,500. Au$1,040. Can$980. US$780

Tis is another example where the administrative tick has been misread for entitlement.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 2 years 2 weeks ago #82542

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noble Numismatics

QSA (5) Rhodesia, Relief of Mafeking, Orange Free State, Transvaal, South Africa 1901 (290 Trpr: H.A.Fisher, Qnslnd:M.R.) Impressed

290 Pte Hugh Addison Fisher, Queensland, Third Mounted Infantry Contingent confirmed on nominal roll.

Sold for a hammer price of Au$2,600. Totals: £1,802. R35,100. Au$3,170. Can$2,990. US$2,380
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 9 months 1 week ago #90836

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next Noble Numismatics sale:

QSA (0) (54 Pte C.M.Reimers. Qnslnd: M.R.) Impressed.

Described as: 'Private Charles Matthew Reimers, aged 22, previously with the Warwick Mounted Infantry and enlisted to serve in the Boer War with the Second Queensland Contingent; Emb.13 Jan 1900; died of enteric at Bloemfontein, South Africa on 24 Apr 1900; Buried at Bloemfontein Cemetery, Mangaung Metropolitan Municipality, South Africa; commemorated at Anzac Square Boer War Memorial at Brisbane, Queensland and Australian War Memorial Roll of Honour, Canberra, ACT.'

WO100/290p27 lists clasps CC and Driefontein
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 8 months 3 weeks ago #91366

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
I missed this one at the auction, someone wanted it more than me so I let it go.

On the bright side I was successful with the other QSA to a Queenslander, the one with the ISM. Paid a premium for it though.

I recently joined the ranks of the 'Retired', so I will have to keep a close eye on purchases from now on.

Jim

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 8 months 3 weeks ago #91367

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Jim,

Mixed news from the last sale in that case. There certainly seems to be a premium to be paid for any Australian units. It is great that there is so much interest but not if you are a collector.

Wish you a happy retirement. Will you be able to complete the research on some existing medals now as well as scouring lists for your next acquisition?

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Queensland Mounted Rifles 8 months 3 weeks ago #91382

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Good evening David,
It is my intention to update my research on the existing medals that I am fortunate to be the current custodian of.
I have wondered if research is ever 'completed', there always seems to be more relevant information appearing. But in saying that I will attempt to update the research while keeping an eye out for anything affordable.

Regards,

Jim

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.618 seconds