TOPIC:

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 11 months 3 weeks ago #89836

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (4) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Tranvsaal, Laing's Nek (684 Serjt. T. Filmer. Impl: Lt. Infy.);
KSA (2) (256 Corpl. T. Filmer. Kitchener's F.S.).

Thomas Filmer enlisted with the Imperial Light Infantry on 15 November 1899, this unit saw heavy fighting only two months later on during the Battle of Spion Kop. Moreover, during the night withdrawal from the feature a confusion in orders saw the I.L.I. ordered back to their posts exposing them to danger for far longer than necessary. Continuing to serve until 10 October 1900 Filmer was discharged for service with the Provisional Transvaal Constabulary.

This unit was formed after the British advance on Pretoria for service in this district hunting Boer Commandos and performing police duties. The intended duration of service with this unit was three months with an option to extend for another three, Filmer took this option, remaining with them until 15 January 1901.

His final posting during the conflict was with Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts, which he joined on 16 January 1901, around a month after it was formed. This unit saw heavy fighting throughout the guerrilla phase of the conflict, commanded by the legendary frontiersman, Johan Wilhelm Colenbrander - Rhodes' guide into Rhodesia and one of the few men to have killed a lion with his bare hands - their reputation as ferocious opponents, hard riding and drinking toughs made them feared in the Transvaal. Their clashes and fights with General Christiaan F. Beyers and his Commando were one of the epic features of the Guerrilla War. No other Irregular unit had such a fine record for the capture of convoys and prisoners.

Filmer was promoted Lance Corporal with them on 17 August 1901, he had clearly finally found the right unit as he was to serve with them for nearly two years. Discharged on 8 July 1902 he disappears from the historical record with his medal issued to his mother on 28 January 1903.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 11 months 2 weeks ago #89849

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The pair to Filmer sold for a hammer price of GBP 420. Totals: GBP 521. R 12,010. AUD 950. NZD 1,010. CAD 850. USD 630. EUR 580
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 11 months 2 weeks ago #89851

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
The Filmer pr was another I was slightly interested in. Again when it started to creep up I soon lost interest.

That single to the Rhodesian Regiment was another surprise, big money far a medal that by the medal roll is quite common.

I hope some of the forum members had more luck than myself.

With these prices I'll have to wait until the next Nobles.

Jim

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 5 months 3 days ago #93039

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (4) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing’s Nek (395 Pte. A. V. Lucini, Impl: Lt. Infy.)

Albert Victor. Served 15 November 1899 - 16 November 1900.

QSA verified on WO100/252p43. Medal issued 23 January 1903.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Imperial Light Infantry 3 weeks 5 days ago #95063

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (4) Relief of Ladysmith, Orange Free State, Transvaal, Tugela Heights, unofficial rivets between first and second, and between third and fourth clasps (727 Pte. H. J. Peake, Impl: Lt. Infy.);
[ KSA (2) from TMR ]

Herbert John Peake attested for the Imperial Light Infantry on 23 November 1899, and was discharged on 19 January 1900. He re-enlisted (for special service) in the Natal Carbineers on 21 January 1900, and served during operations at the Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights and at Laing’s Nek. he was discharged on 8 September 1900, and re-enlisted on the same day into Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry. He saw further service during the latter stages of the Boer War in the Prince of Wales’s Light Horse; the Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Volunteer Rifles; and as a Corporal in the Transkei Mounted Rifles. He was finally discharged on 14 April 1902.

WO100/367p51

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds