Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45381

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is very important to remember that there was a profound difference between a Musician serving in a regiments band and a Trumpeter serving in a cavalry squadron, a squadron leader would be unable to deploy his men for mounted action in the first place and in the second, he would certainly be unable to command them during it, without a Trumpeter, these men were not used as orderlies or stretcher bearers, they were always armed, they did close and engage the enemy with their squadron.

SWB wrote: One problem in identifying trumpeters, buglers, pipers and drummers is that they are sometimes in recorded in various sources like casualty rolls as "Privates" or another rank.

An example is Trumpeter W Cruse 8th Hussars - recorded in the casualty rolls as a Private, but on war memorials as a Trumpeter.

Musicians were frequently deployed as stretcher bearers which in battle was not a safe occupation. If they were using their instruments in battle then they had to stand up and be exposed to fire in order to make themselves heard.

Meurig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 7 years 8 months ago #47840

• AnnH
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rory
A few days ago I found your article, posted 10 months ago:
. Thomas William Harding Wilson
. Trumpeter, Bethune’s Mounted Infantry – Anglo Boer War
. Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal . & Laing’s Nek to Tptr. T.W.H. Wilson, Bethune’s M.I.
For the last nine years I have been looking for a “Trumpeter Tom Wilson” who was in the ambush at Vryheid in May 1900.
I have Tom’s tin of Queen’s chocolate, dated 1900, inside which are two letters sent by “Tom” to Mrs C Groves, 69 Broad Street, Birmingham. The first, dated Jan 21 1900, assured her that “all is well” and that he would be “unable to write any more until we are in Ladysmith”.
The second, 27 May 1900, from Natal, referred to an ambush at Vryheid and the casualties suffered there. Tom’s horse was shot from under him and he “had a narrow escape but have since become quit a hero as I saved my queens chocolate which was in the saddle at the time”. He promised to “despatch it to you and remember there is a special value attached to it now”.
Two newspaper cuttings, in the tin, report this “daring feat”. The Piertermariztburg correspondent, reports the ambush of E Squadron of Bethune’s Horse and the death of Lieutenant Lanham also reported is TRUMPETER WILSON’s escapade.
My Father gave me the tin several years before his death and I regret not showing more interest in it. There is no-one to ask now. Dad was a respected genealogist and traced many branches of our family tree meticulously keeping every piece of evidence. I am sure he would not have kept the tin so carefully unless there had been a connection which, as yet, we have been unable to find
The tin, its contents and the recipients address were all I had to go on. My initial instinct was to trace descendants and return the tin and details of Tom’s exploits to his family.
My search for Trumpeter Tom Wilson began.
Over the course of many years, and false leads, I was able to trace Tom’s relationship to Mrs Groves, nee Charlotte Elizabeth Wilson.
Charlotte and Tom were the children of Samuel and Elizabeth Wilson who in 1881 were living in Beaufort Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham. Tom William H Wilson was born in 1876/7.
I was unable to find Tom’s full name or record of him in BMD records or in the 1911 Census return.
There seemed to be some circumstantial evidence, from the casualty list, that Tom may have joined the Dragoon Guards, the Durham Light Infantry or Bethune’s Mounted Infantry

In 2007 I first found reference to Trumpeter TWH Wilson 114 on the “nominal role” of Bethune’s Mounted Infantry. I found no other soldier with those initials.
However, I was unable to find his full name and address – not even whether his first name was Thomas, he appears to have been living in Natal before the War which started in October 1899, this Trooper signed up, for a year, on 19 October 1899. There was no apparent link to England. One report suggested that he had links with New Zealand.
You have provided the missing link as you have traced TWH Wilson back to his family in Birmingham thank you Rory for sharing this information online.
I am happy to share information on Tom’s letters and his family background if anyone is interested.
I would be grateful for more detailed information on Tom’s life and family in Natal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 7 years 8 months ago #47841

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2151
Dear Ann

That is wonderful news and has certainly made my Sunday! The first group of medals I ever acquired were those given to me by a friend and fellow collector way back in 2006 - they were a group of 4 to WWII and were to a Louis William Thomas Wilson - a chap who died in Port Shepstone. It was quite by chance that I made the connection between father and son when I was offered Thomas the Trumpeter's Boer War medal. Needless to say I was overjoyed at being able to reunite the two and they both have pride of place in my collection.

I would have no idea what Wilson's connection to your family was but am more than willing to share what I have, especially about Louis. How would we go about the swop of information? I am going to send you my e-mail address via PM - a Private Message system available on this site, If you go into your profile you will shortly see a message from me. Please respond with your details.

Regards

Rory

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds