Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45284

• Bansteadman
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you to all those kind enough to respond. It seems that even the experts are not exactly clear on the role of a trumpeter.
These statistics may be of interest. I have looked at everything we have researched so far and it is clear that 23 of the fifty men on the Roll of Honour were Trumpeters at one time during their service, My analysis shows that

1 was killed in Action
1 died in hospital
2 were Invalided out
14 survived
5 are yet to be researched.

The spread across units was as follows:
9 8th Hussars
6 5th Dragoons
2 2nd Dragoons
2 3rd Hussars
2 Imperial Yeomanry
1 17th Lancers
1 Royal Artillery

Does this analysis indicate anything out of the ordinary or is it about what you might expect?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45288

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Hello again
The amount of danger a bugler/trumpeter was exposed to during the South African war appears to have been determined by the phase of the conflict in which he served. Having had a lunch appointment cancelled at the last minute :ohmy: , I had a quick scan through the South Africa Field Force Casualty list (Hayward, 1972); with reference to entries for trumpeters/buglers. Yes, I know the SAFF is sometimes flawed in content - however it is at hand/easy to access, no matter the shortcomings. I found that after the taking of the enemy capitals, the number of entries (killed/wounded/captive/died of disease) for trumpeters/buglers quickly drops off. In contrast, entries for drummers remain pretty constant all the way through.
During the entire campaign (and excluding the NFF listing), the SAFF told me that, for the Cavalry, seven buglers/trumpeters had entries, the Infantry had twenty-five, the Imperial Yeomanry had sixteen, the RA as a whole had eleven entries and there were a scattering of others in Colonial units. Not all were battle casualties; there were numbers who died of disease. I fear that any calculation of casualty percentages amongst trumpeters/buglers will have to be left to another with more time on his hands!
It is clear that bugle calls were used to encourage the lads during several early battles (i.e., Elandslaagte). I think it is also pretty clear that bugle calls would have been very useful about camp to announce events of the working day. In the field, against an active and wily enemy, it is my opinion that bugle calls would have been best left in camp! That opinion is based on a conversation - albeit long ago - with someone who served there.

To conclude, my scan of the SAFF was a quick one - and I could have missed some. Mea Culpa. I am no expert.
Good luck with your research!
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bansteadman

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45292

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Day Everyone.....

I have a medal to a Bugler in the Gordon Highlanders......

I understand that they were used as medical staff during the war......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45295

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
One problem in identifying trumpeters, buglers, pipers and drummers is that they are sometimes in recorded in various sources like casualty rolls as "Privates" or another rank.

An example is Trumpeter W Cruse 8th Hussars - recorded in the casualty rolls as a Private, but on war memorials as a Trumpeter.

Musicians were frequently deployed as stretcher bearers which in battle was not a safe occupation. If they were using their instruments in battle then they had to stand up and be exposed to fire in order to make themselves heard.

Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45296

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Meurig
During my little scan of SAFF, I noted such ranks as Sgt.Trumpeter, Sgt. Drummer Sgt. Piper (I think) and similar. So not always just "trumpeter/bugler".
Regards
IL.

A Trumpeter in Bethune's Mounted Infantry 8 years 2 months ago #45378

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
My War Office 1914 edition of Infantry Training is very clear on the roll of Buglers, it states "The object of infantry in attack is to get to close quarters with the enemy, during the delivery of the assault the men will cheer, bugles be sounded and pipes played"
The world and indeed the British Army were very different then, a particular battle was won by guts and determination, nothing much had changed since 1899.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bansteadman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.681 seconds