Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24304

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,

Yes I have a number of centres, I have noticed recently the price of them seems to be not as high?

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Okay, so I assume you have done what many do, in collecting maybe a couple of specimen plates and then all the various centres?
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24318

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Sadly copies have started to appear in recent times too, I think I was about six years old when helmet plates caught my attention, they could be had for very little back then, these days you end up having to pay a kings ransom for some of them.
What I always look for, in the case of Army examples is a really good even patina on both centre and plate, the fact is that they were made from differing materials, but, those that are "unmarried" will look nice on the obverse and therefore it will show on the reverse, where you would expect to clearly see the different metals used.
I noted a really nice example that clearly had well over a hundred years of life "together" at one of the very few fairs I get to go to last year, a really super plate, sadly, it was the Connaught Rangers, so not a bargain! :(
Kind regards Frank

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24321

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,

Yes copies will always appear unfortunately, if its a bargain it probably isn't :angry:
Irish Regiments are always a premium sadly.

Cheers
Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Sadly copies have started to appear in recent times too, I think I was about six years old when helmet plates caught my attention, they could be had for very little back then, these days you end up having to pay a kings ransom for some of them.
What I always look for, in the case of Army examples is a really good even patina on both centre and plate, the fact is that they were made from differing materials, but, those that are "unmarried" will look nice on the obverse and therefore it will show on the reverse, where you would expect to clearly see the different metals used.
I noted a really nice example that clearly had well over a hundred years of life "together" at one of the very few fairs I get to go to last year, a really super plate, sadly, it was the Connaught Rangers, so not a bargain! :(
Kind regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds