Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24204

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
William was born in the Parish of Lambeth London in 1873
At the age of 18 years he attested for the Middlesex Regiment at Hounslow on the 4th of September 1891 his trade is stated as labourer.
William was of slight build as in normal of the period, his height was 5ft 4" and he weighed only 8 and a half stones.
His first year of his service was spent at home and then went on to serve for two years in Gibraltar.
After a further spell at home he made his first journey to South Africa in April 1896 this term last 255 days.
William certainly travelled the world in his service for the Queen moving next to the East Indies this term lasted just over a year.
On the 2nd of December 1899 William returned again to South Africa and probably engaged in his first taste of action.
It is a probability that then Corporal Little engaged and saw the disasters at Spion Kop he fortunately came through unscathed as he is not shown with any wounds.
Williams service in South Africa was a short 179 days which meant he was not entitled to the KSA he was entitled to Relief of Ladysmith and Cape Colony to his QSA
William was promoted to Sergeant in 1901 and on discharge he had spent 12 years in service.
He is later shown as married to Ada and residing at 12 Eaton Court Belgravia London, either his Army pension was paying well or he married into wealth.

Thank you for looking
Cheers
Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24253

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Very nice Paul, did you buy the plate and centre as shown, or was it a marriage by your good self?

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24261

• coldstream
Hello Frank,

Thank you for your comments.
The plate was already in the badge collection, just there to enhance the photo ;)

Cheers

Frank Kelley wrote: Very nice Paul, did you buy the plate and centre as shown, or was it a marriage by your good self?

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24268

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
You did not answer my question, now come on, this is not a commons select committee, you have not done anything wrong, so just between you and I.
Regards Frank

Frank Kelley wrote: Very nice Paul, did you buy the plate and centre as shown, or was it a marriage by your good self?

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24273

• coldstream
Frank lol
I misread your post, yes it is a marriage ;)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
You did not answer my question, now come on, this is not a commons select committee, you have not done anything wrong, so just between you and I.
Regards Frank

3338 Sgt.William Arthur Little Middlesex Regt. 9 years 4 months ago #24299

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
Okay, so I assume you have done what many do, in collecting maybe a couple of specimen plates and then all the various centres?
Regards Frank

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.500 seconds