Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24127

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Yes, they are there, I really can't remember when I bought the last one for this affair, a long time ago though!
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24128

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Frank,
Found them!
Typing in Hull made a big difference in the search, thank you.
Been reading up on Nicholsons Nek it was quite a disaster wasn't it.

Paul

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Yes, they are there, I really can't remember when I bought the last one for this affair, a long time ago though!
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24129

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Paul
I fear IL is betraying his age here! :woohoo: "Going into the bag" was commonly used in the OZ army as shorthand for being taken PoW. Doubtless a metaphor transferred from the hunting field (game "gone into the bag") and when a young Rifle Club member, IL heard the term being used by WW1 and WW2 diggers. He also heard the term used during his enlistment (1965-70)when PoW cages were being set up. Thankfully, he never went anywhere to see them being filled up!
Paul, I also took the liberty of looking up your Davenport man in the lists of released PoWs on this site's PoW topic. I could not see him there (only one 10MB chap seen). Might be worth you having a look too.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24131

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Paul

I have a couple of QSA's in my collection that belonged to men captured in Natal, held as PoW's in the Transvaal, and released there in mid-1900. Both had the Transvaal clasp, evidently because they were immediately back on active service after release. Perhaps this was the case with your man.

The QSA in the 10th Mountain Battery group in my collection was to a man who got back to Ladysmith from Nicholson's Nek, and it has the clasps Cape Colony, Defence of Ladysmith, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24132

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I was interested to see the annotation "Matabeleland Expeditionary Force" did you notice that?
Regards Frank

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24133

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Ian,

Thank you for the explanation, a good phrase to use, I like it ;)
Thanks for checking the released POWs appreciate you taking the time.

Cheers
Paul :)

LinneyI wrote: Paul
I fear IL is betraying his age here! :woohoo: "Going into the bag" was commonly used in the OZ army as shorthand for being taken PoW. Doubtless a metaphor transferred from the hunting field (game "gone into the bag") and when a young Rifle Club member, IL heard the term being used by WW1 and WW2 diggers. He also heard the term used during his enlistment (1965-70)when PoW cages were being set up. Thankfully, he never went anywhere to see them being filled up!
Paul, I also took the liberty of looking up your Davenport man in the lists of released PoWs on this site's PoW topic. I could not see him there (only one 10MB chap seen). Might be worth you having a look too.
Regards
IL.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.466 seconds