Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24134

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Brett,

Thank you for this information, this medal is becoming more interesting than I thought :)

Cheers
Paul :)

Brett Hendey wrote: Paul

I have a couple of QSA's in my collection that belonged to men captured in Natal, held as PoW's in the Transvaal, and released there in mid-1900. Both had the Transvaal clasp, evidently because they were immediately back on active service after release. Perhaps this was the case with your man.

The QSA in the 10th Mountain Battery group in my collection was to a man who got back to Ladysmith from Nicholson's Nek, and it has the clasps Cape Colony, Defence of Ladysmith, Orange Free State and Transvaal.

Regards
Brett

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24135

• coldstream
Hello Frank,

Only found the papers late last night and I viewed them on my mobile.
I did notice reference to "Matabeleland Expeditionary Force" so would he be entitled to the BSAC medal?

Cheers

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
I was interested to see the annotation "Matabeleland Expeditionary Force" did you notice that?
Regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24136

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Well, it appears not, members of this unit, were detached to Frederick Carrington's force, I would think a couple of sections, these men did receive the medal, but, there is no mention in his papers, nor is he shown in the original roll from which the medals were issued.
Now mistakes were made and this could be one such mistake, or, he could well have been part of the force when it set out and he may, for whatsoever the reason, not set foot in Matabeleland, sickness, was a real problem.
Moreover, I also checked the distribution roll for Imperial troops and he is not on that either.
Fortunate for you, otherwise, you would be looking for a second medal and a very rare one too, certainly not cheap either!
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: coldstream

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24137

• coldstream
Hello Frank,

Thanks for the investigative work.
Yes I agree I am sure it would show on his papers.
I am pleased in a way, I can cope with a search for a KSA but am sure it would have been a nice trio :whistle:

Cheers

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24138

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Gentlemen
In a way, I hate to say this, BUT there is a "C.B.DAVENPORT" TPR, BSAP, entitled to the BSAC medal with 1896 reverse; this shown in the Owen Medal roll. The thing is, I guess, to figure out if he had time to do his time in BSAP, get back to UniK and into 10MB in time for Nicholson's Nek.
Frank, there might be something re this DAVENPORT on the BSAC Medal papers?
Guys, I am not saying it is the same person. However, could it be????
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the 10th Mountain Battery, RGA 9 years 4 months ago #24139

• coldstream
The plot thickens :ohmy:
Ian, the only thing is his initials.
His papers show Charles Davenport only, I may be clutching at straws here :whistle:
Seriously if this is the man my QSA becomes a "proper" split but at least its an interesting story behind the medal.
Thanks again.

Cheers

LinneyI wrote: Gentlemen
In a way, I hate to say this, BUT there is a "C.B.DAVENPORT" TPR, BSAP, entitled to the BSAC medal with 1896 reverse; this shown in the Owen Medal roll. The thing is, I guess, to figure out if he had time to do his time in BSAP, get back to UniK and into 10MB in time for Nicholson's Nek.
Frank, there might be something re this DAVENPORT on the BSAC Medal papers?
Guys, I am not saying it is the same person. However, could it be????
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.474 seconds