Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet 6 years 11 months ago #53577

• backman
  • backman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 3
I have this item in my collection but have not been able to find out much about it and wonder if anyone can help please? It is a fairly standard Nurses set or wallet which were commonly used in the late 19th and early 20th century.These contained the instruments used in day to day nursing and would have items such as scissors,pulse timers,Probes,thermometers,etc in a leather wallet worn suspended,chatelaine style from the waist.This one however bears the double AA cypher of Queen Alexandra and is embossed with The Nations Gift,South Africa Christmas 1901,and is in a similarly marked cardboard box of issue.I understand that these may have been donated by the Queen or possibly public subscription to Nurses serving is SA.I have seen one or two pictures of PCANSR nurses wearing such nursing sets but would welcome any more information? Thanks
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet 6 years 11 months ago #53580

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Pictures.....

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:

The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet 4 weeks 3 hours ago #94870

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1992
One of these has surfaced on eBay; auction ending 4 April 2024 (item location: Australia)

Item Number 266741339354

A rare piece, especially with the original box.

Being sold by the Salvation Army, New South Wales.

Sold for $660 AUD (£343 GBP)

Attachments:

The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet 4 weeks 2 hours ago #94873

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2151
My RRC group to Sister Julia Nettie Underwood (married surname Croft) sporting her "Gift" - a very practical set of tools it would appear.

Attachments:

The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet 3 weeks 5 days ago #94909

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1992
A few known examples.

Nurses' Memorial Chapel museum, Christchurch, NZ. This example belonged to Nursing Sister Annie Hickman Hiatt, No 4 General Hospital and Hospital Ship Simla.

Forum, June 2017; boxed - The Nation's Gift, Queen Alexandra's Presentation Nursing Wallet

Spink, 20/10/1999; boxed; sold for £700 GBP (Total £805 GBP)
????, 18/11/2008; without box
eBay, 22/07/2013; boxed; sold for £205 GBP
eBay, 04/04/2024; boxed; sold for $660 AUD (£343 GBP)

For further information, see: "THE NATION'S GIFT"

Note: all the examples I have seen have contained different instruments, of different makes. My belief is that the wallets were issued empty.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds