TOPIC:

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20519

• Andyinluton
  • Andyinluton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello
I am trying to find information regarding the Natal Police, my partners GG Grandfather was Franz W Vetter service number 220 I believe that he was one of the 13 NP taken prisoner at De Jager's Drift, held at Pretoria released on 6/6/1900 and then drafted into the Provisional Transvaal Constabulary.

A chance conversation with my father in law revealed that he has Franz QSA,KSA and 3 other medals sitting in a draw - he is based in SA whilst we are in the UK, he has promised to send a decent photo in the next week or so but in the meantime are there any medal rolls I could look up to try and find what they might be?
Many Thanks
Andy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20524

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Andy,
Welcome here, as far as the Anglo Boer War goes, the casualty returns suggest he was taken POW on the 31st of January and released on the 6th of June 1900, a very brief look at the medal rolls in WO100/261 and WO100/277 does show 2240 Trooper F W Vetter Natal Police as discharged on the 15th of November 1900, the QSA and clasps Natal and Transvaal from the Natal Police, a nominal roll in the same volume shows service with the Provisional Transvaal Constabulary from the 12th of June 1900 to the 31st of August 1900, WO100/277 shows PTC service until the 30th of August 1900.
I would think that the other medals would be a Union government issued trio for service in German South West Afica in 1914-15.
The KSA is another matter altogether, you would have to look at the naming on that, I doubt if it is official.
Again welcome, kind regards Frank Kelley

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20527

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Andy

Franz Vetter was captured at Nqutu when the Boers raided the Magistracy there, and not at the earlier incident at De Jager's Drift.

Pat Rundgren in his book 'The Colonials at Talana' covers the Nqutu PoW's and he has written the following:

VETTER, F.W.W.
Employed by the Transvaal Railway Administration prior to 1898. Enlisted 02.08.98 as 2240 Trooper, Natal Police. Mobilized 11.10.99. After his capture he was abused by the Boers for wearing a Natal Police uniform, on the grounds that he was a Transvaal resident.
After being freed in Pretoria on 06.06.00 he enlisted 6 days later as a Trooper in the Provisional Transvaal Constabulary. He took his discharge on 30.08.00 to rejoin the Natal Police. Discharged 15.11.00.
Trooper, Border Mounted Rifles, Zulu Rebellion 1906.

The 'KSA' referred to in your post may in fact be the Natal Rebellion Medal, which also has Edward VII on its obverse.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andyinluton

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20528

• Andyinluton
  • Andyinluton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Many thanks, do you have any information on H (Henreich?) Vetter who we believe is Franz brother. Hopefully I will get to see the medals shortly.
Andy

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20529

• Frank Kelley
Hello Andy,
He is shown in WO100/261 as number 1921, Trooper, Natal Police, he was discharged on the 8th of February 1900, his medal and Natal clasp being returned, unclaimed on the 24th of January 1922.
Regards Frank

Andyinluton wrote: Many thanks, do you have any information on H (Henreich?) Vetter who we believe is Franz brother. Hopefully I will get to see the medals shortly.
Andy

Natal Police - Provisional Transvaal Constabulary 9 years 10 months ago #20532

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
I wondered about the "KSA" whilst it was certainly not unheard of, I have come across the odd Natal Volunteer or two, who decided to award themselves a KSA, however, it is most unusual.
He is shown on the 1906 roll as Trooper F F W Vetter BMR.
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Andy

Franz Vetter was captured at Nqutu when the Boers raided the Magistracy there, and not at the earlier incident at De Jager's Drift.

Pat Rundgran in his book 'The Colonials at Talana' covers the Nqutu PoW's and he has written the following:

VETTER, F.W.W.
Employed by the Transvaal Railway Administration prior to 1898. Enlisted 02.08.98 as 2240 Trooper, Natal Police. Mobilized !!.10.99. After his capture he was abused by the Boers for wearing a Natal Police uniform, on the grounds that he was a Transvaal resident.
After being freed in Pretoria on 06.06.00 he enlisted 6 days later as a Trooper in the Provisional Transvaal Constabulary. He took his discharge on 30.08.00 to rejoin the Natal Police. Discharged 15.11.00.
Trooper, Border Mounted Rifles, Zulu Rebellion 1906.

The 'KSA' referred to in your post may in fact be the Natal Rebellion Medal, which also has Edward VII on its obverse.

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds