Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41300

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Sacha
In an earlier post you mentioned that there was an impression that David Lockhart MAXWELL had not served in WW1. He certainly did serve in the Great War! I have slightly edited his WW1 career (derived from his papers) and it is as follows -
Landed England 12091914 and joined 3rd Scottish Horse (Yeomanry) 14091914. Served Gallipoli, Egypt/Sinai Peninsula. Seemingly did some covert work in Basra - unsure about that. To France, appointed Senior Major, 2nd S.Lancs Regt, July 1916, wounded in action September 1916, returned to unit December 1916. Appointed A/Col, 2nd S.Lancs Feb 1917, transferred to command of 2/5 Manchesters, April 1917, transferred to command 6th Seaforths and wounded in action May 1917 (near Arras, shell splinter). Total service in France from June 1916 to end of War.
Mentioned in Despatches twice; London Gazettes of 13071916 and 11121917. Eligible for SWB (not with medals).
The diary extract you posted earlier adds even more information to your GGF's Boer War service. He was invested as a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order - in recognition of services during the operations in South Africa. Lord Kitchener's Despatch of 8th July, 1901 records that: "Lt. D.L.Maxwell, on 31st December at Hartbeestefontein, though wounded, remained with his patrol until he fainted through loss of blood". The Palmer Casualty roll shows him as "Wounded, Potchefstroom, 31121900 Imp.LH".
Thanks again for your taking the time to add to what we know of your GGF.
Best Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sacha Maxwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41321

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Thank you for the arrival dates, thought it was then :-) he got married 23/11/14 to Alice Kennedy. Son James Kennedy Maxwell (major 17/21st Lancers) born July 1915.
Thought there was something about Basra as well...need to look more into that
Thank you for the French info - much appreciated
Where would I find his papers? I have a copy of the medal card but that is about it.
I will have to go through the diary extracts a little better and see what else I can find.
Photo albums are a little harder to get to but I will towards the end of the week...promise
Thank you
Sacha

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41362

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Sacha
I have PM'd you.
Regards
IL.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41363

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Morning

I have his brothers QSA, I assume they are related as I acquired copies of letters that are in the National Army Museum that P. Maxwell wrote during the ABW.

They detail his service with the ILH, his wound and hospital treatment and his subsequent service with the Rand Rifles. He mentions his brother David in a letter. Unfortunately I can not lay my hands on my copies at the moment due to a refurbishment taking place in my study.

Jon
Attachments:

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41365

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you Jon

That is great to see. Yes Patrick was David's younger brother; along with Frank VC, Walter, Eustace and Laurence they all served in either or both ABW or WW1 as well as India.

Look forward to finding out more over the coming months, thank you

Sacha

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 8 years 10 months ago #41371

• Sacha Maxwell
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
A note that was in FAM's diary for Sth Africa 25th Dec 1901 - 'sent Pat a case of whisky and a plum pudding'

25th Feb 1902 - Walter writes that he saw Pat on Saturday, and says he is down on his luck - in debt £50 and stands to loose a lot more and has nothing to meet it (been gambling with shares?). I sent him £50 and a blank cheque

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.507 seconds