Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12159

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Forum members will doubtless be aware of that special "buzz" which is experienced when additional and unexpected data can be reliably added to a bio; so much more so when the info permits the individual in question to be placed a a key momment or moments.
Whilst many forum members will have QSA medals/groups where they suspect the recipient was present at a certain well-covered action, the suspicion is usually nearly impossible to verify unless the recipient was a casualty, MiD or else decorated - and then not akways possible. For officers, however, searching certain sources can provide a surprise.
Being the current custodian of the medal group awarded to Lt/Lt. Col. D.L.MAXWELL, DSO, my initial interest lay in the circumstance of the award of the decoration - plus the interesting combination of QSA clasps. Documentation with the group informed me of his militart career - including noteworthy service in the Great War. Lord Kitchener's despatch of 28071901 records under IMPERIAL LIGHT HORSE: "Lt.D.L.Maxwell; on Dec.31, at Hartbeestefontein, though wounded, remained with his patrol until he fainted from loss of blood". He was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order (London Gazette of 26061902) as Captain ("in recognition of services..) and was invested by HRH the Prince of Wales on 01071902 on Horse Guards Parade. My copy of Gibson's "The Story of the Imperial Light Horse" simply comments that "Lt. D.F (sic) MAXWELL" was severely wounded and echoes Lord Kitcheners "mention" but notes the award of the DSO.
A quite unexpected surprise occurred when I chanced upon a copy of a very hefty book titled "Boer War Services of Military Officers Etc., 1899-1902" and reprinted by Savannah Publications in 1998. The entry for MAXWELL, D.L. records "operations in Natal 99 including actions at Reitfontein and Lombards Kop and Defence of Ladysmith including sorties of 7/12/99 and action of 6/1/00. Relief of Mafeking, operations in the Transvaal East and West of Pretoria july-Nov 00 including action at Frederickstad 17-25 October. Operations in Transvaal and OFS 30/11/99 - 31/5/02" and goes on to record his medals and clasps and the award of the DSO.
Forum members with an interest in the Defence of Ladysmith will especially note that Lt. MAXWELL (as he then was) took part in two iconic actions of the era: the raid on Gun Hill (7/12/99) and the Wagon Hill/Platrand battle of 6/1/00. Plus, of course, the earlier actions leading up to the DofL, etc. Perhaps our learned host, Mr. Biggins, might be persuaded to update this site's bio of this most gallant Gentleman?
I have not quite concluded yet! Because, checking certain sections of the weighty tome mentioned above, I find there are several examples where Colonial officers have similar notations recorded against their names. Whilst we may never know the names of the "unwounded-or-unremarked" other ranks who took part in certain iconic actions, it seems quite possible that the bios of some of those who led them may be expanded in this manner.
What do forum members think?
Regards to all
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sacha Maxwell

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12160

• LinneyI
Sorry chaps
I had terrible trouble getting the MAXWELL post up and when resubmitted the pic was left off.
Herewith.
IL.

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12161

• LinneyI
Another try!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sacha Maxwell

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12162

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
Ian,

Excellent additional information on this officer. I am always looking to improve the information on the site so will update his records.

Many thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12164

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ian

Thank you for a most interesting post. Having the QSA of a confirmed member of the Gun Hill raiding party is a great coup. The only other one I know of is the medal awarded to the only fatal casualty amongst the raiders.

Regards
Brett

Updating a biography: David Lockhart MAXWELL, ILH. 10 years 10 months ago #12165

• LinneyI
David and Brett
Very sorry for the poor effort in putting this one on the site. I intended to put it on the "Research" topic and got a Fatal Error message. When I resubbed it, the thing jumped to "Introductions"! My system was "upgraded" to allow easier transfer of pics to the forum. Unfortunately, it was and remains a bl**dy disaster. I am trying to have it sorted out - not by me, I might add.
Apologies to all and I trust that the info overcame the bungling.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.483 seconds