Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90722

• Captain Cardigan
  • Captain Cardigan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
My name is Harry Hayfield and athough resident in the county of Cardiganshire in West Wales, the interest I have in the Boer War comes from the fact that a friend of mine who lives in Bury St. Edmunds, in Suffolk, is a chorister at St. Mary's Parish church in the town which houses the chapel of the Suffolk Regiment (which then became the Anglian Regiment) use for their offical services.

As a result of this and having an interest in living history I decided to expand my repertorie from just the English Civil War to the Boer War by coming up with a persona called Captain Henry Cardigan and asked the museum if it was possible to attend their annual Minden Day celebrations next year having got all my houses in order. Imagine my suprise then when I was invited to attend the celebrations THIS year, which means trhat I rapidly getting everything sorted so that I can make a presentable effort.

So far I have a base of a uniform (sadly because the top button cannot do up, I have to wear a tie at the top as I sure an undone top button would be frowned upon), I will be getting a yellow and red buttonhole shortly and have already obtained copies of the Queen's and King's South Africa medals. Puttees are on the way, however it's trying to find the boots that are the problem (mainly due to the fact I wear size 13 shoes), so any advice on that front would be very much appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90723

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1178
Hello Harry

thediehards.co.uk/boer-war/

www.victorianmilitary.org/membership

The links above may be able to help you in your quest.

Dave.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain Cardigan

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90731

• Captain Cardigan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I believe I am in the process of joining those organisations, but thank you none the less for them. If there is one problem I am having it is this. I have size 13 feet and therefore finding size 13 anything (let alone regulation boots) is very difficult indeed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90736

• Dave F
When you have joined those organisations, they will be able to point you in the right direction for equipment. An original set of Boer war boots would be rare and expensive and difficult to purchase a size 13. The images enclosed are of an original worn boot , the 2 re- enactment guys have black boots, I would imagine they also struggled to find anything resembling the original Boer War British military boot. I believe there are size 13 army surplus boots available? You may need to customise. A tan pair of leather boots would suffice as you are going to wear puttees. As for the top button issue, perhaps a khaki velcro attachment may help to close the top part of the uniform. In my humble opinion, you would be more frowned upon if you went into action wearing a red kipper tie.

Original Boer War boot .

Enactment uniform with what looks like black army boots.

I wish you well in your quest.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Captain Cardigan

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90737

• Dave F

Your attachment.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Good morning from Cardiganshire 9 months 3 weeks ago #90738

• Captain Cardigan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you very much indeed for that information and picture, that will go a great way towards helping me. So far it looks that I am a much better Boer War officer than I am Cavalier (as when I get to an event at Basing House in Hampshire in September, I am expecting to have to use their resources to a great extent).

What that picture suggests is that a) I have the jacket, trousers, belt and helmet spot on, save for the top button as you have noted. Thankfully there is plenty of time between now and Minden Day to source a jacket with a top button that does do up so that shouldn't be a problem. b) the puttees I have ordered also match that picture and they are in transit, c) the boots are recognisable to several I have seen in shops in this part of Western Wales and when I next go shopping I shall be able to show them to shop assistants and bound to find ones that match (however as I cannot do up laces, that might be a problem).

Now, I am very intrigued by these bags and as I suspect there will not be time before Minden Day to get them, could I ask what they are called, what they contain and what they were used for?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.571 seconds