• Page:

TOPIC:

New to the site. 7 years 5 months ago #49958

• indirem
  • indirem's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like an interesting site. My grandfather Ernest Muller was a young boy in the ABW. His parents were Rudolf Freiderich Charles Muller , chief magistrate of Stellaland and Maria de la Rey , sister of the famous general. He ended up in a concentration camp outside of Krugersdorp with his mother during the war, but survived to live a long healthy life after service in WW1.I am interested to research what happened to my great-grandfather RFC Muller during the war. Details are sketchy.
On my mother’s side , they were English settlers in Natal (Newcastle and Howick) , Their surname was Dicks and a number of the young men of the family served with the British army . Unfortunately I have very few details of their side of the conflict. I am interested to know the origin of the Dicks - Natal Carbineers
I live in Indianapolis, USA so interested to hear if there are any members from the US Mid-West.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New to the site. 7 years 5 months ago #49960

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
inderim
Welcome to the site. I am afraid I can't help much with the first part of your question; others may well be able to.
Regarding the second portion of your post, just now I had a glance at the muster roll published in "The Natal carbineers" by J.Stalker. For the South African campaign 1899-1902, there were several members of the NC with the surname "DICKS"; Troopers E.J., G.W., H.E.H. and J.A. There was also a Cpl.Trumpeter O.E. DICK - may be no relation. These may be the "young men of the family" you referred to. Several of them served during the siege of Ladysmith. If these are indeed of interest, perhaps Brett H. might be able to direct you to likely sources.
Good luck with your research.
IL.

New to the site. 7 years 5 months ago #49965

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
I will do some checking later, but in the meantime the link below is to the SA Archives Repository in Pietermaritzburg, and, if you have not already done so, check their records for files on Dicks. You will need a local researcher to copy them.
www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smw...D705D968%26DB%3DNABE

I know of a Dicks who once lived in Newcastle, who collected Elandslaagte QSA's. He emigrated to Australia. Someone reading this may have his contact details.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

New to the site. 7 years 5 months ago #49968

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2161
The Dicks family still live in Newcastle (at least some of them). The Dicks in Australia referred to by Brett is Clive and he is a passionate Elandslaagte collector. He also has Dicks' medals to (I think) the Newcastle Town Guard and others from his family.

He is an active member here so will most likely see this post and be in contact.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

New to the site. 7 years 5 months ago #49975

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
Welcome indirem,

It will really interesting to learn what you find out about the family.

Good luck
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds