Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48800

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
IL

Amazing to get photos and details on each man so quickly.

Particularly interesting as I used to live in Callander and go through Port of Menteith regularly. I hadn't heard of this book.

Roy, nice little family related collection.

Patrick
The following user(s) said Thank You: PAPAHOOT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48801

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Three really nice medals, I have to say that I like Alexander Blair's in particular, I note that WO100/263 shows it was issued to a certain Mr J Blair at Balboughty Dairy Old Scone, Perth, I should certainly be delighted with them if I were you.

PAPAHOOT wrote: Hi,Mike, sorry I was away from my PC. Thanks for your reply. I thought that's what it was despite not finding any mention of this.
The medal details are as follows:- 1.QSA with 5 clasps(Cape colony:Orange Free state:Transvaal:South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902) to 7512 Pte W.BLAIR. RL.HIGHRS. M.I.
2.QSA with 4 clasps(Cape Colony: Orange Free State: Transvaal & South Africa 1902) to 37566 TRP.A.BLAIR. SCOTTISH HORSE.
3.QSA with3 clasps(Cape Colony: Orange Free State & South Africa 1902) to3720 Pte R. Blair. SCOTS GUARDS.
From what I can gather,medal 2 trooper ALEXANDER Blair 1st.Batt. with that number given in QSA medal rolls. That's all I know so far.
I have also suspected links to Perth/Perthshire as the house clearance took place in Perthshire and amoungst other things,there is a coronation memorial medal for Edward VII & Alexandra City of Perth 26th June1902 which appears was worn by a piece of QSA medal ribbon.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48803

• PAPAHOOT
  • PAPAHOOT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi FRANK, FIRSTLY THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY. It is so rewarding to me as a newbie to receive replies to my post.
Best of all,to be furnished with such a bounty of knowledge in no time at all. Not being very IT literate, god knows how long I would have taken to gather a tiny amount of the information given so freely by yourself and the other members.I cannot thank you all enough. I will state from the off that I may be inclined to "nip yir heids" as we say up here,with more queries.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48804

• PAPAHOOT
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi,Patrick, yes Wow I mean WOW! How surprised do you think I was with the speed of the responses??
Amazing,really amazing. I have,in two days,gone from know nothing,to a wealth of info to try to follow up on.
Its very near scary!! Thanks once again for your interest, kindest regards,Roy.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48805

• PAPAHOOT
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank, thanks for your reply and can I ask why is the medal to Alexander of more prominence than the others?

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48806

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It would be to me, but, certainly not necessarily to another person, it's simply all about who they were and what they had been doing, in particular, during the last few months of the war, up in the Transvaal, the thing to do next would be a very careful look through WO126/122-126 at Kew, hopefully, his paper will have survived.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.606 seconds