Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48785

• PAPAHOOT
  • PAPAHOOT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
HI GUYS, help required. As I have said in my introduction,I have three QSA's all three are to Blairs. Can I assume that the reciepients are brothers,or perhaps cousins? I am assuming family as the three medals were together when I obtained them.(house clearance of relative).
I know little,(nothing),of their history,other than I think,they maybe connected to his wife's family.I have a couple of queries other than your opinions on my forementioned assumption.1.One has the inscription,RL.HIGHRS.M.I. Can any one verify this meaning? 2. should I clean them? If so how? thanks for now,kindest regards,Roy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48786

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Papahoot.......

RL.HIGHRS.M.I. stands for Royal Highlanders Mounted Infantry......

Can you please advise names and numbers on edge of each medal......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: PAPAHOOT

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48790

• PAPAHOOT
  • PAPAHOOT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,Mike, sorry I was away from my PC. Thanks for your reply. I thought that's what it was despite not finding any mention of this.
The medal details are as follows:- 1.QSA with 5 clasps(Cape colony:Orange Free state:Transvaal:South Africa 1901 & South Africa 1902) to 7512 Pte W.BLAIR. RL.HIGHRS. M.I.
2.QSA with 4 clasps(Cape Colony: Orange Free State: Transvaal & South Africa 1902) to 37566 TRP.A.BLAIR. SCOTTISH HORSE.
3.QSA with3 clasps(Cape Colony: Orange Free State & South Africa 1902) to3720 Pte R. Blair. SCOTS GUARDS.
From what I can gather,medal 2 trooper ALEXANDER Blair 1st.Batt. with that number given in QSA medal rolls. That's all I know so far.
I have also suspected links to Perth/Perthshire as the house clearance took place in Perthshire and amoungst other things,there is a coronation memorial medal for Edward VII & Alexandra City of Perth 26th June1902 which appears was worn by a piece of QSA medal ribbon.

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48791

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Roy
I will do a post on each of the QSAs as follows:
Note, the info came from "A Military History of Perthshire" (1908).
"7512 Pte. W.Blair "- on roll of the 2nd Royal Highlanders Detachment, 22nd Bn., Mounted Infantry. Clasps CC/OFS/Tvaal.
Portrait -

Brief bio -

More on the others a bit later.
RegardsIL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, PAPAHOOT

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48792

• LinneyI
  • Away
Roy
From the same source .
"37566 Tpr. A.Blair, Scottish Horse"

Bio -

The 1st and 2nd SH were both crack units. Should you care to do so, Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" (in the books section of this site) has a good synopsis of the SH's activities.

Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, PAPAHOOT

3 QSA's 7 years 6 months ago #48793

• LinneyI
  • Away
Roy
From the same source.
"3720 Pte R.Blair , Scots Gds"
pic -

bio

Looks like the recipients of the three medals could be related? Therefore some digging in the archives for you to do :) Would not want to spoil the fun! How to clean the medals? Everyone has a different opinion. Unless they are very dirty, I leave them alone (perhaps a wash in warm water). Others like the Full Monte with silver dip or whatever it is now called. If the medals have the original ribbons, they should be kept and - if fragile - kept in an envelope. Some don't like the modern production ribbons and would search for the silk types. Me? For what it is worth, I don't mind. In fifty years, nor will anyone else!
Just as well you mentioned that the x3 medals came from Perthshire. That was really a vital clue.
Enjoy the medals
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, pjac49, PAPAHOOT

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.774 seconds