Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48316

• PW_RWR
  • PW_RWR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Which reference gives 3rd battalion Royal Warwicks ?
Yes the war summary gives Mounted Infantry companies of the 3rd and 4th Battalions arrived in South Africa in 1901.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48317

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He is clearly shown in WO100/170, I would think he had spent some time in Malta beforehand.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PW_RWR

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48318

• Frank Kelley
I am trying to remember which line regiments had a third and fourth battalion, i.e. not Militia battalions, I am pretty sure the Warwickshire's actually did, because, of course, if a man is shown as being in a "third" battalion in circa 1899, it normally will be a Militia rather than an Army battalion, so what you would normally do would simply to look at the available folio in WO96, but, assuming I am right (I am fairly sure I am!) you would not find papers there.
Moreover, if the Ministry of Defence actually stated that they do not have his service papers actually long before WO363 and WO364 were deposited at the, then, Public Record Office, it does rather suggest that the wretched German Air Force, in their most vile incarnation, were solely responsible for there loss and therefore your own current predicament, oh well, never mind, we cannot alter history. :(

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48319

• Frank Kelley
Okay, so upon actually looking at the actual Army Order for the Reduction in Establishments, it states "His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the following battalions of the Foot Guards and Infantry of the Line being reduced"
Both the 3rd and 4th Battalions, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, are on the list.
So what has happened here, was that Waud was a serving member of the Army rather than the Militia, his original WO97 papers are likely to have been together with his subsequent set and would have been in WO363 when last looked at, in all probability, they will have been destroyed, WO363 has never been released to the general public because of it's condition, but, you have a letter which predates all the existing folio becoming available, so I would suggest you have done all you can do.

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48321

• PW_RWR
  • PW_RWR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Again many thanks. Also have sent you copy of my MOD letter by email.

Another newbie looking for details on my Grandad 7 years 8 months ago #48322

• Frank Kelley
We see an awful lot of this sort of thing and what I always say to people, is they should try and keep things as original as possible, in the absence of Waud's original medals, you could, for the Anglo Boer War at least, simply buy another medal and clasps that had been awarded to a member of Waud's battalion for the same campaign service, but, even that might prove a real pain, an alternative would be to buy an identical medal and clasps to any recipient, this should not be a problem, nor, should it be expensive.
As mentioned Waud has an entry in WO100/170 for his QSA, a entry in WO372, the index card for his Great War medals and two entries in WO329, the Great War medals themselves, his Star and his BWM/AVM.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.889 seconds