• Page:

TOPIC:

hello 8 years 5 months ago #44002

• matthew lucas
  • matthew lucas's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi im Matthew, lifelong interest in military history, especially the Great War. Have worked as a battlefield guide In France and Belgium, and also in other countries, other conflict . In more recent years an interest in the Boer war has developed from family history.
my grest grandma's brothers : trooper John Lowe, known as Jack, 101st company Imperial Yeomanry, South Africa 1901 to 1902, possibly Great War as well, volunteer before, but can't make out what in his service papers so if any one can help....
his older brother Tom, 1st Gordon Highlanders, South Africa 1899 to 1900, seriously wounded and invalded out 29 May 1900, previouslu NW frontier 1895 to 97. After 9th Royal Scots , Rsm of 2/9th Royal Scots by 1915, then draft conducting as T WO 1 to France.
great grandads brother Arthur Magenis 1st Royal Irish Regiment, served in South Africa in 1900, from 5th Irish vol batt, Kings Liverpool Regiment, served in 23rd Rifle Brigade in India 1916 and 17, died in 1917 serving in the RDC.
any info on those units or family would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

hello 8 years 5 months ago #44004

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Matthew
Welcome to this forum. I hope you will be posting more about your family's Boer War connections.
Regards
Brett

hello 7 years 7 months ago #48538

• matthew lucas
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Attachments:

hello 7 years 7 months ago #48539

• matthew lucas
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

ok here is my Great grandma's brother Tom Lowe served in India 1893-98 and South Africa 99 to 1900 until wounded and invaldid after Doornkop 29 May. the photo was taken in Manchester in 98 0r 99 after India and prior to South Africa.
He deserted the militia in 91 or 92 after a stabbing and joined up under a false name , we think T Hill 1st Gordon's 1982 to 1900 then 9th Royal Scots 1900 to 1914 then 2/9th 1914-18 being the RSM from 1915.
the article from the 1916 royal scotsmagazine staes 3 times wounded, we know from newspaper reports of the 29th may 190 serious wound but wonder about the other 2 ,South Africa or India>
matt
Attachments:

hello 7 years 7 months ago #48540

• matthew lucas
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
that is from the 2/9th royal Scots magazine in 1916, lowe being spelled with no e.

family history, Gordon Highlanders,Imperial yeomanry, Royal Irish Regiment 7 years 7 months ago #48575

• matthew lucas
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Wondering if anyone can add to the story of Tom Lowe 1st Gordon Highlanders , any idea of details of his other wounds?
Or his brother jack who may have served in 14 18 as well
as well as Arthur Magenis
any sources of info, as family history in the Boer war is new to me
matthew

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.725 seconds