Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24694

• Hudson
  • Hudson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Hi All,

I am based in the Johannesburg vicinity and my interest in the war was raised whilst trying to obtain a better understanding of why the Afrikaner thinks and behaves the way he does. I have read a lot of literature around this event obtained from Gutenberg, Amazon and of course from this site which is the reason why I wish to become a member. I must say that the information being presented here is really amazing and there is new data almost daily which keeps the interest up.
I was at the site of the 1880 Bronkhorstspruit battle fairly recently and will upload some photos of the graves and memorial if so desired, I do know that this relates to the first Boer war but it may be interest to some, sadly they are deteriorating and no longer properly maintained which goes for most historical sites in South Africa. The Donkerhoek/Diamond hill battle site is also not too far from here either of which I also have some photographs which can be uploaded. Interestingly Donkerhoek battle site is now an Afrikaner village and one has to sign in to gain access.
Keep up the good work all.

Regards Hudson Taylor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24698

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Hudson,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
Please upload your photos, I am sure they will be of great interest to the forum.
Look forward to your future posts.

Cheers
Paul :)

Hudson wrote: Hi All,

I am based in the Johannesburg vicinity and my interest in the war was raised whilst trying to obtain a better understanding of why the Afrikaner thinks and behaves the way he does. I have read a lot of literature around this event obtained from Gutenberg, Amazon and of course from this site which is the reason why I wish to become a member. I must say that the information being presented here is really amazing and there is new data almost daily which keeps the interest up.
I was at the site of the 1880 Bronkhorstspruit battle fairly recently and will upload some photos of the graves and memorial if so desired, I do know that this relates to the first Boer war but it may be interest to some, sadly they are deteriorating and no longer properly maintained which goes for most historical sites in South Africa. The Donkerhoek/Diamond hill battle site is also not too far from here either of which I also have some photographs which can be uploaded. Interestingly Donkerhoek battle site is now an Afrikaner village and one has to sign in to gain access.
Keep up the good work all.

Regards Hudson Taylor

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24703

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning and Welcome Hudson......

I am sure that I can speak for all that any photos are a part of our education and would be greatly appreciated......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24704

• Hudson
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome, and I will load them up shortly

Rgds
Hudson

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24705

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Dagsê Hudson en welkom!!

Ayres's medal was one of my first acquisitions to First Boer War participants.

Somebody mentioned to me long ago that he was a member of the band, but I could not confirm that.

I hope that his grave can still be identified. I would also love to see a photo of the memorial.

David. Maybe you should move my offering to a topic "The First Boer War" ??

Henk
Attachments:

New member Introduction Hudson Taylor 9 years 3 months ago #24706

• Hudson
There are a few headstones left of which some are are still legible, but not too many.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.794 seconds