Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22252

• Glenn Norman
  • Glenn Norman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Just stumbled onto this site and wanted to join in an attempt to learn more about my beloved Grandfather, Boer War Veteran, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger.
I was born in Brockley, England in 1948 and was very close to my Grandfather as a child. But when my parents decided to move to Canada (in 1956), my Grandfather (who'd had several strokes) decided to stay behind and (I was told) would join us once our family was established in our new home. But that was not to be...
He moved to "Charter House," where he lived until he passed away on Dec. 21, 1958, five days after his 78th birthday (he was born on Dec. 16, 1880).
He was interred in the Charter House cemetery (located in Little Hallingbury, England), directly across from his father (my Great Grandfather), Richard Bryan de Kavanagh-Boulger.
(And I went DIRECTLY to that cemetery after landing on my one-and-only return to England for my 50th birthday {in 1998}. To say I was heart-broken would be an understatement...)
I thought this would be a good group to join as I inherited the family medals (including an entire line of my Grandfather's from the Boer, First & Second World Wars).
I also inherited his large photo album from the Boer War, along with various personal mementos, including his spurs, "pips" and "Swagger Stick" to mention a few.
I'm buried in work right now but wanted to at least get started, with the hopes of scanning his pictures and posting them here (where I believe they will be appreciated)over the coming winter (which, as I live in Canada, is quite lengthy). <g>
I'll begin by posting a picture of the family medals.
The bottom line contains all the medals awarded to my Grandfather (from The Boer War, through the First World War {where he was awarded The Military Cross twice - one bar has been lost over the years), to the Second World War where he was an Air Raid Warden throughout "The Blitz" (narrowly missing death - along with my future mother - when a V2 landed across the street {killing nine, badly damaging their home - where I was born - and leaving a "scar" that survives to this day}.)
The upper line of medals - stretching back to the Battle of Sebastopal in The Crimean War - were awarded to my Great & 2nd Great Grandfathers, along with various other family members.
(Note: I find it CHILLING to see that my ancestors fought in Afghanistan (specifically Kandahar) and The Crimea. Will we NEVER learn???)
One final note: During a quick look at this site, I discovered one listing for my Grandfather, but his middle name is incorrectly given as Inre. It was in fact Imre (a name given to him by his father who almost died of Asthma as a child, but was saved when a gentleman by the name of Imre took him into his home high in the thin air of the Swiss Alps).
Also: At the end of his life, my Grandfather was known as Captain Philip Imre Boulger. However his gravestone (and birth certificate) list his name as Philip Imre Kavanagh-Boulger (while his father's grave reads "Richard Bryan de Kavanagh-Boulger"). My recently-departed mother's name was Phylis Kavanagh-Boulger, though she went by Phylis Kavanagh and my Grandfather used the name Philip Boulger. I have no idea what happened to the "de" or why my mother and Grandfather used different parts of their last name (???)
MUST get to work, but thank you for this site - and I'll try to add more ASAP.
Yours sincerely,
Glenn Colin de Kavanagh-Norman (the names my parents gave me - AKA: Glenn Norman).
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22253

• saxon
  • Thank you received: 19
fantastic set of family medals, you must be very proud of them, look forward to your other posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Glenn Norman

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22254

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Welcome Glenn. Tremendous medals, and all the better for being awarded to members of your family. Look forward to your photographs and more information about your grandfather .

Patrick

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22255

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Afternoon Glen……

First let me say welcome.....

Can you please tell us what unit your Grandfather served in also is it possible to see a photo of the naming on the edge…..

The reason that I am asking is that the Queen’s South Africa Medal has 4 state bars (Cape Colony, Orange Free State Transvaal and Natal) and the two date bars and yet he also has the King’s South Africa Medal…..

Please see the following: angloboerwar.com/medals-and-awards/briti...s-south-africa-medal

As you can see that anyone with the Cape Colony Clasp should not have the Natal and vice-versa also if you have the Date clasps you should not have the King’s Medal and vice-versa as well…..

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22257

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Welcome, Glenn. Fantastic family story and medals and I will look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Regards
Brett

Researching my Grandfather, Philip Imre (de Kavanagh) Boulger 9 years 7 months ago #22276

• Glenn Norman
  • Glenn Norman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for the comment.
These are the kind of mysteries I'm looking forward to clearing up over the winter.
Unfortunately, I have the collection in "safe storage."
Will have to get them out in the months ahead and answer your questions so you can answer mine. <g>
Meanwhile I'll check out the site you mentioned (as soon as I can steal the time)and start trying to make sense of it all.
I know he was presented with one of the medals personally by the King, but I'll have to check to see which one.
Also know that my mother had the medals "re-ribbon-ed" (I know - groan) before passing them on to me, so I suppose it's possible some clasps went on the wrong ribbon (????)
Do know he didn't "make stuff up" as much of his activities were covered in newspaper articles and "mentions in dispatches."
Will try to get back to this fascinating thread ASAP.
Thanks again for your interest and info,
Cheers,
GCdK-N

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds