Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22012

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi, need a little help and advice please, I am abought to purchase a Q.S.A two bar Wepener-Cape Colony, to TPR R.M.D.GORMAN,BRABANTS HORSE(on medal) but the rolls I have, say initials are R.G. any advice would be appreciated, regards saxon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22013

• SWB
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 452
Nominal roll - WO127 shows "RG".
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: saxon

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22017

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
He is shown as 1088 Trooper R G Gorman in WO100/237, service with both the 1st and 2nd Brabants Horse, the Wepener clasp is not rare, my own thoughts would be to check the naming is correct on the medal itself, medals were normally named from the particular roll they are issued from, it is your own hard earned money at the end of the day, medals need to be perfect, as I said to Mike recently, so take a close look at the naming on this medal, if it is not correct, I would, if I were you, move on.

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22018

• SWB
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 452
The WO126 Attestation papers (if they exist for him) should solve the query.

If you are able to I would hold the purchase and invest in a few pounds to get the WO126 papers.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22019

• saxon
  • saxon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19
thank you for your sound advice, I am fairly sure it is the same man, but there's always that nagging doubt, and as you say, it needs to be perfect when laying out a fair sum of money. I'm sure if I was to re-sell the medal the discrepancy in initials would be pointed out to me, so this one I will pass on, best regards Saxon.

medals and awards 9 years 8 months ago #22020

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A careful look in WO126/6-14 at Kew for his papers would certainly solve any issue regarding his name, if the papers still exist, however, only a careful examination of the particular medal in question, will tell you if it's naming is original, Wepener's are not cheap, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is, but, these medals are not rare, both regiments were present during the siege, so you should be able to find another example in due course, that is beyond any doubt whatsoever!
Spend your money with wisdom and knowledge!

Whilst I don't think they are rare, even at todays prices, I don't think they are expensive either, not when you consider how that particular clasp was earned, Brabant's were the cream of the Colonial Division! :(

saxon wrote: thank you for your sound advice, I am fairly sure it is the same man, but there's always that nagging doubt, and as you say, it needs to be perfect when laying out a fair sum of money. I'm sure if I was to re-sell the medal the discrepancy in initials would be pointed out to me, so this one I will pass on, best regards Saxon.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.820 seconds