Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Pte. C. T. Haig, Royal Scots Greys - died after being hit by a train, 4.3.1900 2 years 3 months ago #81435

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
In Boldon Cemetery, which is in the village of West Boldon, a few miles north-west of Sunderland. His parents and other members of the family are interred in the grave.

Charles died in the Base Hospital, Cape Town, the cause of death being "shock from injuries caused by a passing locomotive engine."
www.findagrave.com/memorial/163392983/charles-haig
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
CHARLES THOMAS HAIG
PRIVATE IN THE
ROYAL SCOTS GREYS
ONLY SON OF
THOMAS AND MARGARET HAIG
WHO WAS ACCIDENTALLY KILLED MARCH 4TH .
1900 AGED 25 YEARS.
INTERRED IN THE MILITARY CEMETERY
WOODSTOCK, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA.

Thomas Haig died on 19.9.1905, and Margaret Haig on 22.11.1935.
My thanks to Meurig for sending me his death registration.
To the right of Private Haig's age is roughly inscribed what may be NO 257. I didn't notice anything similar on any other headstone I looked at in the cemetery, but it may be just an identification number for the stone.
. ,

I couldn't find any press notices of his death; however, Meurig found one in the Jedburgh Gazette, of 24th March 1900. Note the incorrect cause of death.
...."At Cape Town, South Africa, on 4th inst. (of enteric fever), Pte. Charles Thomas Haig, 2nd Dragoons (Scots Greys), only son of Thomas and Margaret Haig, West Boldon, CountyDurham (late of Jedburgh)."

Charles himself was born in the Castle Ward registration district, third quarter of 1874 - Castle Ward registration district was in Northumberland, immediately north of Newcastle upon Tyne.

He's also named on Boldon's ABW memorial plaque in St Nicholas' Church, West Boldon, and, as A. Haig, on the Scots Greys memorial in Edinburgh.
PT. CHAS. THOS. HAIG, ROYAL SCOTS GREYS,
...................................DIED IN ACTIVE SERVICE.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.647 seconds