Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

British Cemetery - Machadodorp, Mpumalanga South Africa [Grave of Charles Pawson 5 years 5 months ago #61403

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 951
I came across this grave in the British Cemetery in Machadodorp, Mpumalanga. Does anyone have any knowledge of this boy?

The inscription on the grave reads: Aged 15. Erected by the 2nd Batt. Princess Victoria's Royal Irish Fusiliers as a token of respect for a brave boy who forgot his pain in anxiety for a friend.
Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

British Cemetery - Machadodorp, Mpumalanga South Africa [Grave of Charles Pawson 5 years 5 months ago #61410

• Peter Jordi
  • Thank you received: 41
Dear Elmarie

Thanks for raising the topic. I remember seeing that emotive gravestone myself and I'd love to know the answer to your question too.

Best regards Peter
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

British Cemetery - Machadodorp, Mpumalanga South Africa [Grave of Charles Pawson 1 year 9 months ago #84173

• Candida
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
My mother's grandfather lived in Machadorp and was a doctor there, Dr John Edwin Pawson, married to a Potgieter. Seems he had around 17 children, one of whom was a Charles Pawson. I suspect this may have been his son. We are battling to find any other Pawsons from that area.

British Cemetery - Machadodorp, Mpumalanga South Africa [Grave of Charles Pawson 1 year 9 months ago #84174

• Elmarie
  • Elmarie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 951
Candida

See this website and grave of a E.W. Pawson 1879-1941 in Machadodorp:

www.graves-at-eggsa.org/main.php?g2_itemId=3182608
Elmarie Malherbe

British Cemetery - Machadodorp, Mpumalanga South Africa [Grave of Charles Pawson 1 year 9 months ago #84190

• Candida
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Elmarie, thanks. This looks like it was Dr John Pawson's son, Ernest Walter Pawson. We think he was Charles's brother - the young man who was killed. We have been trying to find the Pawson Farm in Machadorp, but had no luck. We found the Potgieter farm. We suspect that Dr Pawson may have been buried on it.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds