Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41697

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Honouring the men and women who died serving their countries during wartime became an established practise in civilised countries during the 20th Century, with the graves and memorials of both friend and foe being treated with equal respect. Regrettably, there are an increasing number of notable exceptions to this general rule. However, the aberrant behaviour is still so remarkable that it is newsworthy, and it brings the vandals the condemnation and disrespect of civilised people.

Berenice on this forum, and Meurig elsewhere, have done sterling work in recording the monuments and memorials of the Boer War, as have many other people in all those parts of the world touched by this war. Not only did this conflict bridge the turn of a Century and see a change in the British Monarchy, it was also remarkable for being a link between the ‘old’ and the ‘new’ in warfare, as well as some international and internal political relationships. I wonder if it also set a new standard for memorialising war?

I have recently become interested in the 19th Century history of parts of Europe. This venture into the nearly-unknown-to-me has benefitted by its coincidence with the 200th Anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo. There has been more than enough in recorded histories and in media reports to keep me interested and awake during the day.

Probably because I had never thought about it before, I was amazed to learn that, in the whole of the past 200 years, there has been only one carefully documented excavation of the grave of an on-site Waterloo battlefield casualty. According to Internet sources, the body was that of a Hanoverian soldier serving with Wellington’s army. He was evidently a member of the King’s German Legion, and not one of the Hanoverian regiments. He is tangible proof of the presence at Waterloo of Wellington’s Continental allies.

The survival of this burial was evidently a matter of good luck rather than good management. After the battle, only men of high rank had their bodies taken elsewhere for burial and appropriate commemoration. The rest went into mass graves, but only after enterprising scavengers had stripped them of valuables. This included the removal of sound teeth from bodies, which were later sold for implantation into the toothless jaws of paying customers in various parts of Europe. It was also reported that, later, the skeletonised remains of the battlefield casualties were excavated and ground up to serve as agricultural fertiliser. By modern standards, this was scandalous and disrespectful treatment of men who had fought and died to bring the Napoleonic Wars to an end.

How, where and when did this apparently barbaric behaviour in 1815 evolve into the civilised memorialising of Boer War casualties less than 100 years later?

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41699

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Afternoon Brett,
Things started to change in the Crimea into the sort of warfare that is more familiar to us, but, yes, the events that went on in the eighteenth century and throughout the Iberian Peninsular into the nineteenth do certainly leave a bad taste in the mouth, but, that's war I'm afraid, look at Badajoz or perhaps fast forward to Louvain just one hundred and two years later, I certainly would not have liked to have actually been a witness to either.
I often think about the events that took place in August 1914 and I'm always left with that similar bad after taste too.
Regards Frank

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41702

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2305
I agree with Frank, the Crimea saw a change in how we thought of our war dead and I'd say that a part of this was because there were newspaper reporters out there who were sending back reports on how British soldiers were suffering, from disease, wounds, and lack of care by the army. This public awareness brought about an attempt to give them better nursing, and after that war we find what are, as far as I'm aware, the first public memorials to have inscribed the names of common soldiers.

The American Civil War took the memorialising of war dead a big step further.

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41703

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
I am glad that there are now memorials for victories and even some defeats located all over the world as permanent reminders of the suffering and loss that took place by many in most cases young men of both sides......

There is a bit of controversy over the following here in Canada......

www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/the-war-mo...ng-canada/ar-AAcdK3e

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: absentminded beggar

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41707

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452

BereniceUK wrote: I agree with Frank, the Crimea saw a change in how we thought of our war dead and I'd say that a part of this was because there were newspaper reporters out there who were sending back reports on how British soldiers were suffering, from disease, wounds, and lack of care by the army. This public awareness brought about an attempt to give them better nursing, and after that war we find what are, as far as I'm aware, the first public memorials to have inscribed the names of common soldiers.

The American Civil War took the memorialising of war dead a big step further.

..additionally the aftermath of the Crimea saw a number of regimental memorials erected on the battlefield - a new phenomenon too. The prosperity of mid to late Victorians enabled them to memorialise the civil dead in a new way - just take a look at expensive elaborate statuary in any Victorian cemetery in the UK. Fortunately (for us) this was applied to the military.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Memorialising war dead 8 years 10 months ago #41710

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Thank you all for your informed and helpful replies. They got me thinking that it was also the Victorian era that firmly established the British tradition of issuing named service medals to all ranks, and, later, even rewarding all ranks with medals for gallantry and good service. That meant that, in addition to having the names of war dead inscribed on memorials, we have their names recorded on medal rolls and on medals themselves. This forum would have had a very different structure and content if there were no named medals issued for service in the Boer War! Also, I would have had to find something else to keep me happy and interested during the past decade or two!
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.412 seconds