Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 4 weeks ago #26597

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Pointless. No excuses. This action will hardly create jobs, put food on the table or frighten the government into doing anything more about the economic conditions in the country.

Frank Kelley wrote: I suppose that, purely in the interest of variety, I should remember that it was also the British Government who sold out the ancestors of the people responsible for doing this to those very same Boers, I dare say that is how they view it, but, it really does not excuse this sort of behaviour! :(

Frank Kelley wrote: You know what annoys me here, Mike, is simply, that this is a memorial, to men who actually fought the Boer, it seems these idiots can't understand that bit of their own history!

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 4 weeks ago #26602

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Well, I did say, in the interest of variety, but, nevertheless, the history is factual, I suspect that these people are actually unaware of it anyway.

SWB wrote: Pointless. No excuses. This action will hardly create jobs, put food on the table or frighten the government into doing anything more about the economic conditions in the country.

Frank Kelley wrote: I suppose that, purely in the interest of variety, I should remember that it was also the British Government who sold out the ancestors of the people responsible for doing this to those very same Boers, I dare say that is how they view it, but, it really does not excuse this sort of behaviour! :(

Frank Kelley wrote: You know what annoys me here, Mike, is simply, that this is a memorial, to men who actually fought the Boer, it seems these idiots can't understand that bit of their own history!

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 3 weeks ago #26663

• Frank Kelley
I was driving home today and in the process of doing so I caught a program on BBC Radio Four about the facts in South Africa regarding monuments and very clearly it has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the creation of jobs, putting food on a particular table, or indeed, the economic situation in the country, which is dreadful.
Interestingly, whilst this appears to have been an on going issue, matters were brought to a head by a particular individual in Cape town, who, collected an amount, perhaps even, a very considerable amount of human excrement, before smearing the same on the statue of Cecil John Rhodes at the university, which has since been removed.
This particular "Daubster" and I'm being rather generous there I feel, clearly has little understanding of anything, from common sense to heath and safety, but, he has rather antagonised very many people, he has caused many to jump on the band wagon and openly protest, in Port Elizabeth, for example, so much so, that individuals have now taken to "mounting guard" around the clock on other statues within the country.
I doubt if the daubster in question had even considered that so many of his countrymen have already benefitted from the Rhodes scholarships and so on, it appears that there are now very many people in South Africa that have completely failed to come to terms with their own history, a great shame, the government is now very much, the establishment and they need to understand this and start behaving in an appropriate manner.

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 2 weeks ago #26831

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 453
Just received this by email from South African friend:

"We had a local chuckle because someone threw paint over a statue of Gandhi which was
erected post-1994 - we wondered if the perpetrator even knew who Gandhi was! Either way
he was arrested and then found the ANC denouncing his actions - he and a friend had worn
ANC shirts while doing the deed...."

:lol:
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 2 weeks ago #26838

• Frank Kelley
Events within the country certainly seem to be on going, I find the current Zulu King's forename somewhat ironic, I wonder just how he defines foreigners!

Another South African ABW Monument Vandalised - Horse Monument Port Elizabe 9 years 2 weeks ago #26846

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
The current disarray in South Africa is due largely to dissatisfaction amongst the hordes of poorly- or uneducated young people who have grown up in what has become a totally corrupt environment. Since 1994, mass migration from countries north of the Limpopo River of people who are often better educated, more intelligent, more resourceful and more industrious has resulted in the vandalism and violence of recent weeks.

The immigrants came to South Africa both because of the disarray in their own countries and because of the developmental and economic success of South Africa. Consequently, they expected the chance of a better life here, and often succeeded because they competed successfully with local inhabitants. South Africa's advantage was, of course, the result mainly of its colonisation by Europeans. That part of the current drama in the Mediterranean involving sub-Saharan African migrants is a northerly manifestation of the migration into South Africa since 1994.

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.406 seconds