Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 3 weeks ago #94460

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 767
Dear Forummers,
next year is the 125th anniversary of Spion Kop, and I wanted to enquire whether a small group of forummers would like to do a tour of the battlefields? If so, I'd be pleased to help organise things to optimise the experience whilst keeping costs as low as feasible. The obvious "loop" would be in Natal and Zululand: Spion Kop/Tabanyama; Colenso; Winston Churchill capture site; siege of Ladysmith; Talana; Rorke's Drift; Isandhlwana. Whilst in SA, many visitors also go on safari, which fits easily into the above "loop".
Anyone interested? Please reply here.
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 3 weeks ago #94462

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 764
Hi Rob,

Yes, this would definitely be of interest to me. Possibly my son Adam also, whom you met on the last Boer War Shoot at Bisley.
I look forward to hearing more.

Cheers Steve

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 2 weeks ago #94585

• Rob D
  • Rob D's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 767
No great demand… but in any case I'm always delighted to help anyone thinking of visiting SA (where I am at present)). I can advise on many aspects of a potential visit, and if I am on hand to show any forummer the battlefields, it would be my pleasure to do so.
Rob.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 2 weeks ago #94589

• Sturgy
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 271
Hi Rob,

Thank you for the kind offer for the 125th anniversary; I'll contact you the next time I'm in South Africa and hopefully we can get the stars to align and we can meet up.

Thanks again.
Speak my name so that I may live again

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 2 weeks ago #94598

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 764
Hi Rob,
Your offer is very much appreciated. Maybe I can plan for a trip and ask your valued advice sometime in the near future please?
I suspect that there will be events around the time of the anniversary?
Cheers Steve

Interest in a tour for the 125th anniversary Spion Kop plus other places? 1 month 1 week ago #94686

• Sturgy
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 271
Hi Rob,

You inspired me to plan my Christmas holiday and head back to South Africa; especially since the tickets are still affordable!

We land in SA on the 24th Dec '24 and fly back to Australia on the 12th January '25.

The family lives in Durban so we'll definitely be doing the pilgrimage to the Drakensberg / Ladysmith area over that period (maybe not Christmas ;) ).

No stress what so ever but if you do think of any dates during that period then please let me know; I'll book the accommodation later....so no stress.

Last year I stayed at the Ndaka Safari Lodge at Ladysmith/Elandslaagte and loved it and would probably head back there if we couldn't make any other accommodation plans.

Regards,
Sturgy

PS: I'll send you a private message with my email address so that we can communicate further/later.
Speak my name so that I may live again

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.527 seconds