Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Lt. Col. Sam Steele - Report to Lord Strathcona - April 10th 1900, Pt 1 12 years 1 month ago #2757

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1885
CAPE TOWN

10th. April 1900

Dear Lord Strathcona,

The regiment arrived here to-day after a good passage as far as the officers and men are concerned, but very unlucky as to the horses. The weather for the first two or three days out of Halifax was very raw with the result that although the ship was free from serious draughts the great majority of the horses showed signs of pneumonia, and if it had not been for the great care and skill displayed by the Veterinary Surgeon we would have lost more than we have.

The weather between the tropics was very trying on the horses; but I caused wind sails to be used to the full capacity of the holds, and was assisted in everyway by the master of the ship, Captain Parry. 162 horses died in spite of all we could do which is nearly one third. Ten percent over the full number required were purchased to cover casualties and I was sure that would be ample, but as it turned out 100 remounts will be required. I am informed that there are plenty and that we can be ready to march in a few days.

The officers and men have taken the greatest interest in their work particularly the care of the horses. I have kept them at work every day, except that between the tropics I caused the drill to be early in the morning. They have, as reported to you officially, made great progress. The Staff Officer in Charge of the disembarkation appeared to-day as soon as we arrived, and it has been arranged that we go under canvas for ten days, the same as the other Canadian Corps, and then go to the front. We are to camp about a mile from the town proper out in the suburbs.

I intend to keep our work up so that when we get to the front all will be quite at home at their work such as the drill, which is simple but necessary to enable them to be moved. They are, as I wrote you before, very efficient already and very anxious to prove to you that they appreciate, as we all do, your kindness in every way.

The officers of the ship have done all in their power to help me. The First Officer was struck off all other duty to enable him to see that everything required by the regiment was attended to at once. In fact, I think that no better man could be found than Captain Parry and his officers and other staff.

I assure you, my Lord, that I have experienced the greatest pain in seeing the bad luck we have had through the death of so many horses, but I hope that it is the last of it. I have, as I am sure you know, done my best and so have all the rest.

I will write fully later.

Yours respectfully

(Signed) S. B. Steele
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.381 seconds