Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53647

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That's very nice, Ian, trios like that are becoming increasingly hard to find these days, you do, on occasion, see the odd pair, but, the KSA too, is nice to see, I have often thought and wondered, that a number of these men really enjoyed themselves and thrived upon conflict.

LinneyI wrote: Forum members
On this day, 117 years ago, the siege of Mafeking was finally raised. The day previous (16th May, 1900), the combined forces of Colonels Mahon and Plumer finally broke through the Boer forces ringing the town - which had been under siege since 13/10/1899. Colonel Baden Powell's tenacious defence of the town had excited the admiration of the Empire. The story of the Relief, however, was also an epic - and interested readers are invited to peruse Stirling's "The Colonials in South Africa" to obtain a perspective of the times.
Illustrated here is the trio of medals awarded to Lt./Capt. A.J.Forbes of the Rhodesia Regiment; wounded on the cold winter's morning of 16th May, 1900, South of the Molopo river.

1: BSACM, rev. "Rhodesia 1896" engraved to ""Lt. A.J.Forbes, M.R.F.
2. QSA clasps "Rhodesia", "Relief of Mafeking", "Orange Free State" and "Transvaal" impressed to "Lt. A.J.Forbes. Rhodesia Regt".
3. KSA clasps SA1901 and SA1902 impressed to "Capt. A.J.D.Forbes, S.A.M.I.F.
The Kaplan Roll for the Relief of Mafeking clasp shows Lt. A.J.Forbes as serving with "E" Squadron of the RR and subsequently serving with the Remount Depot, Kimberley.
SAFF shows Lt. Forbes as being "slightly wounded" on 12/5/1900 - however, other sources record the actual date as being that shown above; with Lt. Forbes being "shot through both legs". Whatever the degree of injury, Lt. A.Forbes left Mafeking Hospital for treatment and convalescence in Britain. He later returned for further military service.
Lt. A.J.Forbes was an experienced officer by the time he was recruited for Col. Plumer's Rhodesia Regt. He had served during the 1896 Matabele Rebellion with "C" Squadron of the Matabeleland Refief Force under Colonel Plumer; his Squadron seeing considerable action North East of Bulawayo, before the rebel stronghold of Thabas Amanda and at Sikombo's stronghold (where his Squadron commander - Maj. Kershaw - was killed in the assault.
Regards to all on this day
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53648

• Frank Kelley
Hello Rory,
The BSAP LSGC is very nice indeed, did that particular, well worn badge belong to Bodle?
Regards Frank

Rory wrote: My humble contribution in honour of this day is the medals to Sergeant (later Sub-Inspector) John Ernest Bodle of the B.S.A.P. His write-up is here www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...of-the-b-s-a-p#45329

Nephew of the great William Bodle, Commissioner of the BSAP at one time.

Regards

Rory

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53649

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2151
It did indeed Frank - I had his spurs as well but, in a fit of generosity (some say unusual for me) I gave them to a chap who collects ephemera to the BSAP.

Regards

Rory

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53653

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Frank
Yes, I do think that some people thrived upon active service. Indeed, still do. And sometimes continued active service can be expected by a man's family or peers. Research done by a previous custodian of the Forbes trio indicated that the Forbes family was prominent in former Rhodesia. Could have been family expectations?
Regards
IL.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53681

• Frank Kelley
Hello Ian,
It is something that I have thought about for a long time, to actually be born in those days, to be an Englishman, in a state of good heath, to have almost all, of Southern Africa as your playground, a far cry from today, things seem to have come full circle.
Regards Frank

LinneyI wrote: Frank
Yes, I do think that some people thrived upon active service. Indeed, still do. And sometimes continued active service can be expected by a man's family or peers. Research done by a previous custodian of the Forbes trio indicated that the Forbes family was prominent in former Rhodesia. Could have been family expectations?
Regards
IL.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53682

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 452
Super groups!

Here is a representative of the British Army: Henry Harry Harris, Pte 2981 13th Hussars and Cpl SS-6864 ASC.

Henry, from Maldon in Essex, enlisted in 1890, transferred to the Reserve in 1895 and was recalled for the war in 1899. The 13th Hussars served in the Relief of Ladysmith campaign. When the force from Natal was put together for the Relief of Mafeking Henry was attached to that portion of the Imperial Light Horse sent to Mafeking; thus he earned a double relief combination, unique to the 13th Hussars. Only one other Relief of Mafeking was awarded to the 13th Hussars and that was to Cpt K MacLaren.

Following the Relief of Mafeking Henry remained in the west and earned the clasp for Johannesburg, again a rare clasp for the 13th Hussars just three being awarded. Henry's QSA clasp combination is unique to the 13th Hussars.

In February 1901 Henry went off the rails being sentenced to six months hard labour, in September he transgressed again and received another six months with a £1.00 fine. The sentence was reduced to three months and Henry was sent home to the UK for discharge.

On the outbreak of the First World War Henry enlisted and was sent to the Army Service Corps. In March 1915 he arrived on the Western Front, seven months later Henry died in Boulogne where he is buried.

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.763 seconds