Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53742

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Brett
Thanks for your kind comments! The response exceeded my expectations.
Best regards
IL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53743

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Rory
Please thank Nigel for allowing us to see Wood's remarkable pair of medals. I hope he loves them as much as he does his WWI and WWII medals.
Regards
Brett

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53744

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2151
I will convey the message Brett

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53790

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
A very good and scarce pair, one wonders what life, in Merthyr Tydfil was like for David Morgan after all that excitement, in particular, during 1900?

LinneyI wrote: Gentlemen
We must not forget the British Army regulars! Frank got in ahead of IL with the nice Royal Fusiliers pair; so here is the QSA/KSA pair to "33644 Gunner D.Morgan, R.G.A" on QSA and "Pom Poms Sec; R.A." on KSA. This pair had an airing on the Forum some time ago and deserves another - given the subject. Very few lads with the Pom Poms.

Regards
IL.

17th May, 1900 6 years 11 months ago #53792

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi
Good to see Morgan again!
I bought the pair in 1983 from Gatjade for just over R400. It was one of the last of my "Boer War Artillery" items to leave some 10 years ago
Henk

17th May, 1900 1 year 10 months ago #83672

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1541
Interested Forum members
My purpose of my initial post was to mark the anniversary of the relief of Mafeking on 17th May 1900 - and to draw attention to that date I submitted a pic of the trio awarded to Lt./Capt. A.J.Forbes of the Rhodesia Regiment who was wounded during the relief operations. I was aware of the SAFF entry for Lt. Forbes; which stated his wounding was on 12th May 1900 at "Mafeking" and I was also aware of the book "Plumer's Men" by Robert Burrell; which stated Lt. Forbes was wounded during the fighting on 16th May 1900 - which led to Mafeking's relief the next day.
Based on the SAFF entry, there was some discussion about the correct date. I am now able to confirm that Lt. A.J.Forbes was indeed wounded on 16th May 1900 - based on a letter home from Major Weston-Jarvis concerning the advance on 16th May 1900 - that officer clearly states that "..Alec Forbes (was) shot through both legs".
Lt. Alec Forbes served with "E" Squadron of the Rhodesia Regiment under Capt. A.B.Cuming and there is reproduced in Vol.2 of "Rhodesia Served the Queen" a photograph of the atmospheric painting by Georges Lindermere (1901) showing "E" squadron, Rhodesia Regt. leaving Mafeking after the relief and the salute being received by Maj. General Baden Powell. Of course, Lt. Alec Forbes would presumably been having his wounds tended to on that day - but surely would have wished to have been there.

Regards to all
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey, QSAMIKE, Elmarie, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.591 seconds