TOPIC:

December 12th 7 years 4 months ago #50572

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1899 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Shelling began early but did not continue all day. I forgot to say Nurse Yateman has been ill and has come in from "Indombi Hospital" to stay with us for a week or two to rest and recover. She looks very fragile. It is eleven o'clock. About two hours ago Uncle George came in and said they were under orders to leave at once. Mr. Varty and Captain Arnott were here and rushed away. We were all excitement, put our jackets on and went down to Bert's cottage and watched them all pass. All the Artillery but two batteries (six batteries), Infantry and Volunteers. We thought they were off to meet the Column at last. They were supplied with two day's rations. However, it was all just to have them prepared, for just now a man came to tell Aunt Fanny that they were all returning and that Uncle George would be in shortly. We are waiting for him now.

A letter was found on Gun Hill written by a Boer to his sister. I believe it was picked up by one of the storming party. I will copy it here:-
Copy of a translation of a Boer letter found on Gun Hill, 8th Dec. 1899 Ladysmith.

7th December 1899 - Mrs. P. G. Groenwald.

My dear Sister,

It is with pleasure I inform you that I am well and in good health, through the blessing of God, and it is my hearty wish that this letter will find you the same.

Further, dear Sister,. I would like to know how you are all getting on. I have already written two letters to Father and Jacobus and I am longing to hear from you all. It appears that there must be something wrong as I do not receive any letters and I do not think you would forget to write, but I will try again and if I do not get an answer there must be something wrong here. It is one month and seven days since we besieged Ladysmith, and I don't know what will happen further. The English we see every day walking about the town, and we are bombarding the town every day with our cannon. They have erected breastworks outside the town. It is very dangerous to attack the town. Near the town they have two Naval guns from which we receive very heavy fire which we cannot stand. I think there will be much blood spilt before they surrender, as Mr. Englishman fights hard and well and our burghers are a bit frightened.

So, dear Sister, write soon how you are getting on. You will not believe how hard it is not to hear from my brothers and relations. I would like to write more but the sun is very hot, and still further, the flies are so troublesome that I do not get a chance of sitting still, so I will now close with dearest love to all.

I remain your affectionate brother,

Wessel Groenwald.

My address is:-
Gunner W. I. Groenwald,
Head Laager, c/o Major Erasmus,
Ladysmith.

You may send letters without stamps, by writing on the envelope "Field Service". Write me if Peter is still on the Basutoland Border. Thousands of greetings to all the people.

Poor fellow! I think he is heartily sick of it all and is very homesick.

Wilfrid has another relapse of fever, slighter though this time.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 12th 7 years 4 months ago #50573

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

On from 1.30 to 2.30 a.m., 4.30 to 7.30 p.m. Shelling from Bulwana commenced at daybreak. 2 prisoners were taken by our outposts, a native and a white man, just as we were relieved. Reached camp about 8 o’clock. Had just finished supper and prepared to turn in when an order came to saddle up immediately with day’s rations, and 2 days further rations to accompany us. 250 N.C.,125 B.M.R. and about 70 N.M.R. were picked to form a flying column to meet Buller’s column. Marched over river where we took up our respective positions, and about 11 o’clock sent back to camp and dismissed, after being told that we were to take up the same position when the column was called out, which might be at any moment. Glad to get another night in, turned in at midnight.
Dr David Biggins

December 12th 7 years 4 months ago #50587

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Colonel Park must have been one of the most optimistic (and frustrated) men in besieged Ladysmith!

Brett

December 12th 7 years 4 months ago #50593

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think Cecil Park actually had very considerable cause for his optimistic outlook.

December 12th 6 years 2 months ago #57463

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Major George Tatham, Natal Carbineers

Report that Rifle Brigade with 400 men had blown up Boer gun on Surprise Hill in the night but had, owing to delay from inferior fuse, been detained. Boers had thus got warning and a fight took place on the return, in which 36 of ours, and a good many Boers were killed and wounded. A small shell from Silent Susan, near Lombard's Kop fell near Dispensary.

All mounted forces called to rendezvous at Range Post 9.30p.m. and report to Gen. Com. at Town Hall when ready. Did so and were ordered to return to camp. This was another test of our readiness. All were at the rallying point in remarkably short time. Very little shelling. A short cessation of hostilities in order that dead might be buried and wounded removed from Surprise Hill.
Dr David Biggins

December 12th 2 years 4 months ago #80187

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Tuesday, 12 December

The enemy have left us very much alone today, with the exception of a hot rifle fusillade on the other side of the native village. We have not had a shot fired until 5.30 p.m. when the Boers opened with their 12and 9-pounders. The reason of [.fir] their quietness is of course unknown to us, but we can see the Boers having a large counsel meeting round the big gun, we think it must be over B.P.’s letter to Snyman.

Taking advantage of today’s quietness the natives celebrated a marriage at our English church. The bridegroom’s friends with rifles and bandoleers formed a guard of honour. It was rather an interesting episode of the siege.

Lord Charles Bentinck was this morning shot through the shoulder by a stray sniper’s bullet; he has been hit twice up to now, but very luckily nothing dangerous.

The Boers seem to be very restless after their meeting, [and] we can see them moving about all round us. We can see twenty-five to thirty of their waggons trekking from the south across the river northwards. 

I mentioned some time previous that sickness was rife in the women's laager. Up to date there are no less than twenty-seven children dead and buried. It is rather rough on our doctor who has to go up and down from the town to the women’s laager, simply because the other town surgeon refuses to go down because the pay w'as not sufficient, so he has built himself a dugout, and there remains like a rat in a hole. (Doctor Smythe.)

It is understood in the town that Commandant Snyman is very much upset at B.P. sending out his proclamation to the out-forts instead of to him direct, and in his reply to the Colonel he said that there w'as nothing too mean for the British Government to do, and if we wished his men to return to their farms why did we not come out and drive them away? This is his way of being sarcastic. But B.P. has more knowledge in his little finger than forty Snyman’s put together have. The reason he sent the proclamation to the outposts of the enemy was because he knew that if he sent them to Snyman to be delivered to the Boers they would simply be destroyed, and the Boers would never get them or even hear of them.

Reuters’ correspondent yesterday sent out a native runner with despatches hidden in the sole of his boot, but early this morning the boy returned saying it was impossible to get through the Boer lines. It is now nine days, I believe, since any despatches have got through, but while the enemy are keeping their watch tonight another boy is going to attempt it with the same boots on.

A white flag came into town from Jackal’s Tree from one of the burghers, replying to B.P.’s letter, but as yet I cannot get the wording of it.

Snyman also sent in a letter warning B.P. not to send out any more white flags carrying such notices, and if it is done again our flags will be fired upon, and all communications must be sent through him. It appears as if our Colonel had touched a sore point. The Boers say that Snyman is mad about it. Whether it was a correct mode of procedure or not we cannot tell but presume it was a diplomatic move or a big piece of bluff on B.P.’s part.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds