• Page:

TOPIC:

December 12th 12 years 4 months ago #1652

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
1899 - Kimberley siege day 59 (47%). Ladysmith siege day 41 (34%). Mafeking siege day 61 (28%).
1900 - Boer attack at Vryheid repulsed. Sir. D. Barbour commissioned to inquire into finances of Transvaal and O.R.C.
1901 - Bruce Hamilton captures Piet Viljoen's laager.
1906 - Letters Patent for the Transvaal issued.

In Kimberley:

During the middle of the day artillery firing was seen near Bissett’s farm. It was slow fire, and the shells appeared to be bursting on the kopjes near the farm.

Attended a meeting of the Mayor and Town council re the removal of the civil population; they presented a resolution which they had passed unanimously refusing assistance in the matter of removal, which I refused to accept. Subsequently the organization necessary to carry out the details of a removal by Railway South was commenced, and the council will meet at 10 am to-morrow to go into further details.

6 cattle were driven in to-day.

In the evening I sent the following message by searchlight signals.

December 12th No 22. Strictly confidential. Stop. Have to-day met Mayor Councillors Kimberley for second time re removal civil population; they presented resolution refusing assistance in matter of removal which I refused to accept. Fact is Kimberley is De Beers and De Beers Rhodes. Latter I am of opinion considers whole plan of campaign should hinge on defence Kimberley and very large garrison in town. I refused two days ago to forward his plan campaign to you. In my opinion he resents this and is using influence now to detriment military situation. Mayor of Kimberley has requested replies to questions:

1st what accommodation made for white population on arrival Cape Town or elsewhere.
2nd To what destinations will conveyance be provided?
3rd Will free conveyance coastwise be provided where railway not open?
4th Will free or assisted passage be granted to England?
5th Are return fares guaranteed?

“Dec 12th No 23. yours 11th December armament six 2.5 mountain carriages, six 2.5 field carriages. Their ammunition. One hundred and forty ring, one thousand four hundred shrapnel shells, five hundred and forty cases De Beers Co can make ring shell and cartridges at rate of 25 daily. Have also 2 – 7 pounders 2 cwt on Field carriages ammunition twenty common two hundred and twenty shrapnel forty case. Have 12 Maxims on Field carriages two thousand nine hundred Lee Rifles Ammunition one million three hundred thousand Lee Cartridges four hundred and fifty Martinis ammunition two hundred and forty thousand cartridges above includes all units defence force. Half million of the Lee cartridges belong De Beers and are slightly defective and unfit for Maxims.”

There was another meeting of the Town council this morning to go into certain details in connection with the organization of the Railway arrangements in connection with the sending of the population South.

I to-day issued an order that in future 1 lb of bran will be drawn for each horse instead of 2 lbs as heretofore – and the 1 lb of mealies may be substituted at the option of the OC Mounted Troops.

Major Fraser reports from Beaconsfield that about 250 Boers moved this afternoon from Spitzkof direction to near Jacob Scotz’s farm. He says he saw a very large number of wagons moving on south and very fast on the ridge to South of Jacob Schotz’s farm. He thinks in the direction of Jacobsdaal.

I sent the following message by search light signal this evening but received no messages. This is very curious. I am afraid owing to the moon the next few nights will be very bad for search light signaling:

In Ladysmith:

I was so overcome with fever that again my aspect of things was not quite straight. After dawn the Bulwan gun shelled the Star bakery, close to my cottage, and the stones and earth splashing on my roof woke me up too early. Another cottage was wrecked. The heat was intense, but the sun so splendid that I have hopes my heliograph message got through at last. None have gone yet, but I took up my sixth version in faith to the signal station near the Convent. On inquiry about Captain Paley I found he had been sent down to Intombi Camp with other serious cases, but the doctors think he has a chance. Lieut. Bond, who has a similar wound, went with him. Lieut. Fergusson, who died, had four bad wounds, three from bullets and one from a small shell of the automatic "pom-pom," which shattered his thigh. The rest of the day was a delirium of fever till the evening, when the wind suddenly changed to east, and it became cool and then bitterly cold. At half-past eight the proposed Flying Column, which is to co-operate with the relieving force, had a kind of dress rehearsal, all turning out with field equipment and transport for three days' rations. The Irish Fusiliers under Major Churcher formed the head of the column at Range Post, a body of Natal Volunteers coming next, followed by the Gordons. I waited at Range Post in the eager and refreshing wind till the column gradually dissolved into its camps, and all was still. By eleven the rehearsal was over and I rode back to my end of the town. To-night the civilians of the Town Guard went on picket by the river, and bore their trials boldly, though one of them got a crick in the neck.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

December 12th 10 years 4 months ago #16387

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The Boer position at Spytfontein from the Glasgow Herald, 12 Dec 1899.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

December 12th 10 years 4 months ago #16388

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
What was Sgt Martineau doing?

From The Leeds Mercury, Wednesday, December 12, 1900
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

December 12th 10 years 4 months ago #16389

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Three snippets from The Pall Mall Gazette, Wednesday, December 12, 1900

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

December 12th 9 years 7 months ago #22806

• heema
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for sharing this information with us
heema

December 12th 7 years 4 months ago #50571

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

Six weeks today since the siege began, and I had great hopes yesterday that today would have seen the end, but, as usual, nothing has happened. Major Mullaly, our D.A.A.G., was slightly wounded yesterday by a bit of shell, and Major Riddell, of the K.R.R. has taken over the billet. Major Burnside, our doctor, is also on the sick list with fever, and an I.M.S. man, named Frost, is looking after us temporarily. Lord Methuen’s column seem to have had three or four splendid fights at Belmont, Modder River, etc.; and we heard yesterday that he had relieved Kimberley all right, and that Mafeking was still holding out and would very soon be relieved, all of which is good. If only they would kindly relieve us now we should be quite happy. The station-master told Rujub yesterday that in three days he expected the trains would be running again. I am sure I hope they will, but I doubt it, as the big bridge at Colenso was destroyed and will take some time to patch up. I forgot to say that young Scafe came back from hospital three days ago, looking much better for the change and rest, and is quite fit again. He says Gunning is very keen to rejoin, but he thinks they are going to send him home on sick leave. I quite expect Green will come back to us when the line is open, and perhaps Hayley, as it will be eight weeks next Saturday since they were wounded. Sir G. White is reported to have said that the Indian contingent would be sent back to India as soon as they could possibly be spared, as he did not consider that India should be denuded of so many troops unless absolutely unavoidable. I don’t know if this is a true shave, but if so we may be on our way back in another month. Oh! let it be soon. I have seen quite enough of Ladysmith, and can do without the rest of South Africa. I very badly want a few home comforts, such as clean clothes, a big tub, a house, nice food, and a total absence of shells and other missiles. It is a bore never to be able to move about freely without looking up and down and all round to see which gun has just fired, like an old woman trying to cross Piccadilly Circus looking for buses and cabs.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.712 seconds