• Page:

TOPIC:

October 26th 12 years 6 months ago #1299

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
1899 - General Yule reaches Ladysmith. Plumer re-occupies Rhodes Drift.
1900 - Koffyfontein repulses Boer attack. French reaches Heidelberg.

Colonel Kekewich's diary:

Report received that Vryburg was occupied by a commando on 21 October, commandant of it wired proclamation that Vryburg was annexed to the Transvaal.

Sent out cart again to the scene of the fighting on 24th October, and it brought in the bodies of the 2 men killed whose bodies were left on the field.

Published order to-day as to the organisation of the Mounted Forces – under Lt Col Scott Turner.

1st Div Cape Police…..3 Squadrons.
2nd Div Diamonds Field Horse (1 Squadron) and
Kimberley Light Horse (4 Squadrons).

Lt Col Scott Turner has showed great energy and resource in the organisation of these mounted troops.

About 2 inches of rain fell during the day.

I have had to make many promotions and appointments in the Mounted Corps, etc. I consider it very necessary in the interests of the Service, and for the defence of this place that these should be made at once; I have taken a great responsibility and I trust I shall be supported. References which might take a week or ten days would cause too much delay.

It is much to be regretted that Imperial officers are not available for duties in connection with the organization and for the Kimberley Light Horse.

Major Churcher's diary:

At dawn this morning we found ourselves quite alone, but luckily on the main road, so we halted at a farm house and collected the stragglers, which considering all things, were very few. After halting for an hour we continued our march, and four miles further on we found a small force waiting for us at Modder Spruit with food and water. Here we breakfasted, and the men had tea, and at 10 a.m. continued our march another nine miles into Ladysmith, arriving in our camp there about 1 p.m. The Manchester Regiment in a most kind and thoughtful manner, provided both officers and men with an excellent lunch, and we then pitched our camp and began making ourselves comfortable. Everyone had purchases of sorts to make, as none of us had more than he stood up in, and we all hope we may have a day's absolute rest to-morrow.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

October 26th 7 years 5 months ago #49314

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1899 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

On the move at 4 o’clock, halting again at 6 o’clock near wagons. As there were no kettles had no coffee. Made a meal of biscuits, bully and water. 21 hours without an off-saddle. Detailed to scout in line of rear of column. Arrived in camp about 4 o’clock, wet hungry and completely fagged. Turned in at 8.15 and slept soundly.
Dr David Biggins

October 26th 2 years 6 months ago #79426

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Source: Diary of the siege of Mafeking by Edward Ross

Thursday, 26 October 1899

Early this morning a small party of Boers were seen advancing from the east. Our seven-pounders opened fire on them [and] they in return sent a few shells over the town followed up by a few Mauser bullets.

The big gun only fired one shell this morning which went right over our heads.

Last night the natives were warned to be ready to reply to the expected attack on the native village. The enemy did not show up at all.

Mauser and rifle firing going on pretty well all day. Lots of bullets being picked up all over the town.

At 9.45 one of our Maxims on the east front was playing with considerable speed for about 20 minutes.

Our casualties today, Trooper Kelly wounded in stomach, Major Anderson’s horse shot, trooper on Cannon Kopje wounded in back by splinter of shell.

Raining the whole afternoon, but this did not keep the enemy from firing Mausers all the afternoon.

At 6 p.m. they gave us a pretty hot lot of Mauser bullets from the north.

B.P. expects an attack tonight.

Raining till nearly morning.

Night passed off quietly. Expected attack did not come off. The enemy fired 5 big gun shells before breakfast but no damage except to tin shanties.

Kiddy, the government electrician who has been laying the dynamite mines, says that yesterday he blew up a waggon load of the enemy’s ammunition with a mine charge and captured one of their horses; he also said that it was very annoying for him yesterday that Major Goold-Adams instructed the Town Guard to open fire upon the enemy at long range, just as they were advancing on one of his best-set mines. The enemy retreated and spoilt his fun.

Three big gun shells after lunch and a few Mauser bullets flying about.

A large force of the enemy could be seen this afternoon trekking out towards the north, we presume this is to intercept Plumer.
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds