Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

The Other Half? 12 years 1 day ago #2883

• Stephen Bayley
  • Stephen Bayley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
I was wondering what the protocol/tradition is where one of the QSA/KSA pair is missing from the set.

With my collectors hat on now, I have acquired a QSA & KSA which both have the other half missing. My objective is not to make pairs but it would be good to represent the individuals medal set and consequently the story.

The options I believe are 1. Look for the missing medal (goodluck!) 2. Request a reissue (if at all possible?) 3. Acquire a tailors copy of missing medal and clasps and do not attempt to have impressed.

My thinking is option 3 is the best option in these circumstances but never give up hope on option 1.

Can a few of you experienced Gents shed light on how you deal with this issue? Or do you simply avoid buying single medals from a pair all together?

Thanks
Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The Other Half? 12 years 1 day ago #2886

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Stephen,

All/Most of us that collect medals have encountered a similar thing in the past. I would agree with you and,

1) Keep looking for the missing medal
2) Place an unnamed relacement medal in the group for display purposes.

Then most importantly, never name erase medals for this purpose.

Stephen, when it comes to QSA's/KSA's it is always best to check the rolls before purchasing, this way you will always know what you are getting yourself into. I won't knowingly purchase a split group.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: The Other Half? 12 years 1 day ago #2889

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Stephen,

That's an interesting query you pose. From my perspective, there are so many QSAs missing their KSA that I no longer take that into consideration when purchasing a QSA. The occasional reunite is wonderful to achieve but I am normally content with the QSA which, of the two, is the more interesting for me.

When I see single KSA's on lists and catalogues I do check them to see if any are 'mine' so to speak and, if not reunites, I guess people buy them for their rank, unit or if they are single clasp examples?

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: The Other Half? 12 years 1 day ago #2890

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Stephen,
I tend to agree with David.
When I acquire a QSA I do not worry about the entitlement of a missing KSA
If I ever find a reunite it is a massive bonus of course!
I have purchased a single KSA but that was because it was a desirable Regiment to me.

Regards
Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: The Other Half? 12 years 1 day ago #2891

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Stephen.....

I have to agree with the other comments....

I was lucky a while ago to purchase a couple of un-named KSA's which I used to fill in pairs but made note of it in my catalogue.....

I have had one QSA to my fav. regiment,which I knew should have had a KSA with it,for some time and I advertised through various publications with no luck.... I mounted it with one of the un-named medals..... Last year while wondering through a small local museum I came across a display with a single KSA.... Yes it was named to my missing medal..... I know that the museum will never give it up as I have tried, so when my collection is broken up they will get the QSA.... Until then the pair will be on display with the un-named KSA.....

Some people mount a piece of ribbon for the missing medal....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: The Other Half? 11 years 11 months ago #2928

• Stephen Bayley
  • Stephen Bayley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
Thanks Guys,

Some very relevant points made by you all.

As you maybe aware my objective is to collect QSA's with a certain flavour to them. That is probably true for all of us.

Will stay on track collecting my prefered QSA's and note the missing other half if relevant. Will collect KSA if desirable or in the pair.

Cheers
Stephen

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.450 seconds