Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer War Commemorative silver Pocket Watch - Archibald Henry Hicks 1 year 5 months ago #87427

• ChrisE
  • ChrisE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I am not sure if this subject fits into this category - if not please advise.

Private 5187 Archibald Henry HICKS - Grenadier Guards
Born 1871 at Thrapston in Northamptonshire
Archibald enlisted into the Grenadier Guards on the 29th of January 1895. He would serve until January 1907 as Private 5187 and be awarded the Queen’s South Africa Medal 1899-1902 with the clasps for CAPE COLONY/JOHANNESBURG/DIAMOND HILL & BELFAST and the King’s medal with the usual two clasps
Upon his return he was presented with this silver pocket watch to recognize his service in South Africa.
Sadly Archibald was not done with militrary service.
At then outbreak of the First World War he enlisted into the Suffolk Regiment and served as Private 10345.
He would be killed in action on the 18th of February 1915 aged 45.

As can be seen from the photos, the watch has had a hard life but I am sure it was for him a proud memento of his Boer War service.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer War Commemorative silver Pocket Watch - Archibald Henry Hicks 1 year 5 months ago #87437

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
Thank you for sharing these details and photographs Chris. What a lovely thing to have in your possession. This man was clearly highly thought of. Is this an ancestor of yours?

Boer War Commemorative silver Pocket Watch - Archibald Henry Hicks 1 year 5 months ago #87439

• ChrisE
  • ChrisE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Hi -: thanks for your response. He wasn't an ancestor or relative no.
It's just that I have a keen interest in pocket watches in general but especially those having a military connection. Whilst my main interest lies with the medals that were awarded I particularly like everyday items which those soldiers would carry and use daily.
This is an especially poignant memento given that Archibald must surely have thought his soldiering days were behind him only to be killed in the next war.
Chris

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds