Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Sapper Kane, invalided home - "incapacitated for life from his employment" 1 year 7 months ago #85973

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2307
I assume he was 18660 Sapper A. Kane, of the Telegraph Battalion Royal Engineers, who was wounded near Crocodile River, on the 12th of September, 1900. As his trade was a tailor, it seems likely that the incapacitation referred to a hand or arm injury. Is there any record of when he was invalided back to England?
...."It is satisfactory to know that the case of Sapper Kane, an Oldham tailor who came back from the incapacitated for life from following his employment, has been generouly dealt with. The Oldham Trades Council agitated on his behalf, and at the last meeting of the Council one of the members was pleased to compliment the War Fund Committee on their action, and to say that they had done everything that trades unionists could expect. The trouble arose from the fact that after receiving some relief from the local fund, a cheque for £3 from the Lloyd's Patriotic Fund was sent to the secretary to be given to Kane. Long ago, the committee passed a resolution that they would deal with Oldham cases without help from outside, and the Patriotic Fund managers had been more than one notified of this. The secretary accordingly sent the cheque back with an intimation that if it was desired to give the sum to Kane, it should be sent direct to him. This the London people would not do. The Executive of the Trades Council thought that this was hardly sensible, and correspondence ensued. The result was gratifying to all concerned, for Kane was helped further from the local fund, and is now receiving 10s. per week, whilst this week he has also received the first instalment of the pension granted for life to him by the Government."
Oldham Chronicle, Saturday 6th April 1901

I wondered if trade unions in the UK had had much to do with the ABW, and found this—
branchcollective.org/?ps_articles=jo-bri...opean-visual-culture
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.715 seconds