• Page:

TOPIC:

THE CANADIAN SCOUTS AND THE PRESS 1 year 9 months ago #84514

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1883
Globe, February 26th 1901, Page 6, Column 4

DEATH OF MAJOR HOWARD

Major Howard's old comrades of the Canadian Dragoons, Mounted Rifles and Artillery will hear with sorrow of his death at the hands of the enemy in the Eastern Transvaal. No bigger-hearted or more generous fellow went out to South Africa. A man of untiring energy, unfailing pluck and great readiness and ingenuity, he was splendidly qualified for the work that he was latterly engaged in, namely, as a leader of the Canadian Scouts. He went out as a Lieutenant, but, as will be seen, had been promoted to his Majority. There will be the sincerest regret among all the Canadians who knew him that they will not have the opportunity, which no doubt, many of them looked forward to, of welcoming him home again and hearing him relate his adventures in his own inimitable style. They will at least feel, however that their old comrade would want no finer epitaph on his tomb that the words used by General French in recording his death, namely, that he was “a very gallant officer.”

Globe, March 7th 1901, Page 1, Column 4

CANADIAN SCOUTS SUFFER

Two More Are Dead and Several Wounded

Death of Sergeant F. Douglas and Sergeant Northway
Sergeant Vine Severely Wounded

(Special Dispatch to the Globe)[/b]

Ottawa, March 6th:

The Militia Department has received the following unsigned cablegram dated Cape Town yesterday: –

“Sergeant Abbot and Sergeant Carter, late Orpen's Horse, both slightly wounded accidentally, 11th February: Sergeant F. Douglas, dangerously wounded 16th February, since dead: Sergeant Vine, formerly Canadian Dragoons severely wounded 16th February: Sergeant Northway, formerly 2 nd Canadian Mounted Rifles killed 13th February. All the above belonged to Canadian Scouts, under General French.”

A Montreal Star cable says: –

Major Howard is Major “Gat” Howard, whose death has previously been reported. Sergt. R. J. Northway went to South Africa as a Trooper in B Squadron Canadian Mounted Rifles. He enlisted in Calgary. Sergeant Henry S. Douglas went out as a member of the same squadron, enlisting in Winnipeg. Sergeant Vine is probably the man who enlisted in A Squadron Mounted Rifles, as Pte. A. J. Vine, formerly of A Squadron R.C.D. Sergt. W. R. Abbott enlisted as a private in Strathcona Horse, at Maple Creek, Alberta. Several men by the name of Carter joined the Mounted Rifles, all westerners, but their numbers in the official roster do not correspond with that given in the above cable.

Globe, August 9th 1901, Page 10, Column 3

Dr. A. E. ROSS IN TOWN

Dr. Arthur E. Ross, until recently a member of the Canadian Scouts, was in the city (Toronto) yesterday on business. Dr. Ross is a well known football player, who for several years played inside wing on Queen's football team. He went to South Africa with the second contingent as hospital sergeant, and became surgeon of the Royal Canadian Dragoons, seeing a great deal of service. Liking the life he joined the Canadian Scouts when the Dragoons returned home, and did not leave South Africa until June last. Dr. Ross, who looks the picture of health, enjoyed his experiences greatly, and would go again were there another contingent to be raised. He was a close friend of Major “Gat” Howard. He states that the manner of Howard's death is absolutely unknown. He and a companion went out to look for the Boers and were killed. No reliable evidence can be got as to the manner in which they came to their end.

Mike

More to follow.......
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THE CANADIAN SCOUTS AND THE PRESS 1 year 9 months ago #84517

• QSAMIKE
Globe, August 28th, 1901, Page 2, Column 1

LETTER FROM ONE OF THE SCOUTS

Trooper A. E. H. Forrest of the Canadian Scouts, writing to friends in Ottawa from Daspoort on July 24, says:- “Things are going all right in this new corps of Canadian Scouts, but I am sorry to say there are not very many Canadians in it. We have a nice lot of fellows in the corps though. The boys came in here from Reitfontein the day before yesterday, after nearly three weeks fighting. It was great fun to hear the story that the other officers had to tell about Major Ross our Commanding Officer. They state that one day twenty of the Imperial Yeomanry were put on as support for our pom-pom, and about 8:30 o'clock one morning the scouts got into a pretty hot corner. The Major then sent back for the pom-pom to come up to where we were, and go into action. The gun was brought up, but the Imperial Yeomanry would not come. The Major shouted at them and they refused. He then turned loose on them with his six-shouter and made them come up. Another morning we had two men wounded and eleven horses shout from under us. My horse was wounded in six different places. It was the hottest place that I had been in yet. One of the officers wounded was Mr. Williams, who had the end of one of his fingers shot off. He was afterwards captured by two Boers. They went with him about one hundred yards, when Mr. Williams discovered that they had not taken his revolver. He drew it and shot both.

Globe, September 4th, 1901, Page 9, Column 1

LETTER FROM MAJOR CHARLES ROSS, D.S.O.

(Special Despatches to the Globe)

Ottawa September 3rd:

A letter received to-day by Mr. Frank Newby of this city from Major Charles Ross, D.S.O., commanding the Canadian Scouts, confirms the statements made by newspaper correspondents in South Africa that Dutch burghers are now fighting under the British flag and are doing excellent work. Major Ross' letter, which is dated Daaspoort , western Pretoria, August 1st, is in part as follows : – “The corps which I have the honor to command has been doing good work and I have received much praise from the General Officer Commanding the mounted infantry brigade (General Alderson) for what we have done. We have a troop of burghers who work very well with us and are very useful. Some of them of course are better fitted for our kind of work than others and when we find they are not suitable we send them back to the refugee camp. I discharged four men the other day whom I found unservicable and returned them to the camp. A few days after I received a letter enclosing a ring which has been worked by them and which shows or tends to show that the feeling among the Dutch is not so bitter as some would like to make out. I enclose you a copy of the letter they sent. My corps is now getting up to its old strength, and I expect in a few weeks more to get another hundred men. I do not expect to return to Canada for some time yet.

THE BURGHER'S LETTER

The following is a copy of the letter sent to Major Ross by the burghers to which he refers in his own epistle: –

Burghers' Camp Irene, July 23, 1901.

Major C. Ross, Canadian Scouts, Pretoria: –

Sir, We the undersigned beg your kind acceptance of the accompanying ring as a token of our due appreciation of the very kind treatment received at your hands while serving under your command. While regretting the smallness of the presented article we trust that the assurance that it was worked by our own hands out of Oom Paul's coin in our possession may render it more valuable in your opinion. We beg to subscribe ourselves your most obedient servants.

(signed)

C. B. Van Zyl
A. W. Z. Van Rensburg
M. J. Van Zyl
A. W. Van Rensburg

Globe, January 30th 1902, Page 4, Column 2

CANADIANS NEAR DEWET

After Chasing His Carts For Some Distance the Scouts Retired

London, Jan. 20: (Telegram Cable)

Canadian Scouts with Rimington when near Wilge River chased a number of carts which were seen leaving a farm. They discontinued the chase owing to the enemy “becoming to numerous for their safety and it was subsequently ascertained that the carts contained Christian Dewet and his retinue.”
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

THE CANADIAN SCOUTS AND THE PRESS 1 year 9 months ago #84600

• QSAMIKE
Globe, March 6th 1902, Page 7, Column 2
MAJOR ROSS' CLOSE CALL
FAMOUS SCOUT HAS DANGEROUS ADVENTURE

Is In Command of a Good-sized and Evidently Mobile Commanding
A Gallant Rescue
One Fight in Which the Boers Got the Worst of It.

Ottawa, March 6

Mr. Frank Newby of the Inland Revenue Department, received the following letter from Major Charles Ross, commanding the Canadian Scouts, in South Africa dated “Pretoria, Feb. 24th: – I have been operating for the last month with General Rimmington, in the Orange River Colony, and a very hot place it is too, for the Boers there are scrappers from the word go. On the 9 th and 10 th the month I had a fight, and had two white men killed and one native scout, also five white men and one native wounded. The Boers had 46 casualties. Not so bad. Leonard Evans an old Lethbridge, N.W.T. , man of mine, was shot through the head. I also had another man shot through the forehead, and he lost about three tea spoon fulls of brains and yet is going to get over it all right, so the Doctor says.

“I have about 30 officers and 530 men, 2 pom poms, 6 Colt Machine Guns and a pack train of 89 mules, and they are all as good a lot as there is in South Africa. Forty-five Canadians came out here last week and joined our scouts. Some of them were of Col. Otter's men of the first contingent, and others of the C.M.R., and some were of my old scouts who had gone home, but returned again. I expect to start tomorrow for Harrismith, and move on from there.”

“My friends in Pretoria had it that I was killed, and so were rather surprised to see me turn up again. I did have a very close call when crossing a flat to get to the cover of some Kaffir huts. My horse stepped into a hole and fell on me, and he could not get up, nor could I get my leg from under him, and the Boers were not 800 yards away, shooting at me as hard as they could. Lieutenant Lee, one of my officers, came to my rescue and got me free from under my horse. A bullet grazed his shoulder while helping me; his horse was hit also. It was also very plucky to come to me under such heavy fire. I mentioned him to the General for the D.S.O.

“I got your (Canadian) flags all O.K. and the large one is always flying in my camp on the trek, never for the Boers, for the Boers will never be able to take it. I think that this is the first one that they have ever seen. We are having lots of rain here, and quite cold rain too. The war seems now no nearer an end than it was a year ago; I was in hopes that it would have been over by this time. I am still adding to my collection of curios, for I have the finest collection of war relics in South Africa, and am saving a lot of them for you. I am sending you a photo of my sitting room with some of then in it.”

Globe, March 10th 1902, Page 1, Column 4
CANADIAN SCOUTS SCORE

COL. ROSS DISCOVERS AN IMPORTANT
BOER MAGAZINE[
/center]

It Was a Cave Near Reltz, O.R.C. – A Maxim
Helios, Field Telegraphs and
Ammunition Found

(Associated Press Despatches)

London, March 8: –

Lord Kitchener, in a despatch from Pretoria dated to-day reports the discovery of a Boer Magazine in a Cave Northeast of Reitz (Orange River Colony), containing 310,000 rounds of rifle ammunition, hundreds of shells and fuses, 200 pounds of powder, a Maxim gun, Helios, Field Telegraphs and quantities of stores. Thirty five Boers have been captured in the same neighborhood since March 4. The magazine was discovered by Canadian Scouts, commanded by Colonel Ross.

Globe, March 25th 1902, Page 5, Column 7

HUNTING BOERS IN CAVES
[/b]

London March 25 th: –

A despatch from Hellbrun reports that Colonel Cox and Colonel Ross of the Canadian Scouts have thoroughly searched the Rhenoster River for hidden prisoners, and captured nine consealed in caves on the banks.

Globe, April 8th 1902, Page 4, Column 1 - 2

LETTER FROM MAJOR CHARLES ROSS, D.S.O.
[/b]

Mr. Frank Newby of the Inland Revenue Department, Ottawa, today received a letter from Major Chas. Ross, D.S.O., of the Canadian Scouts, dated “Orange River Colony, on the trek, Feb. 28th”

Major Ross says in the course of a very interesting letter: –

“ At the rate we are going the was should be over in two months. We captured over 500 Boers, together with 23,000 cattle, 1,000 horses and 47,000 sheep. We destroyed all the sheep, as they travel too slowly. We are just starting out on another trek after Dewet. His son and his Secretary were captured with the last outfit. I am working in conjunction with Colonel Rimmington. Every house in this part of the country has been destroyed. The last capture has been the worst blow the Boers have received for a long time. I am getting along fine. I applied for a three months leave, but at present they will not let me go home. It would do me a lot of good, as I have now been out of here for about 26 months. The fever here has been very bad of late, and I have lost one officer and four men by it, but so far I have myself escaped it. Col. Sam Steel is still in Pretoria, and living in old Oom Paul's house. He is one of the best officers in the police, and I only wish that could get the head of it, for I am sure he would make a first-class out fit out of it. Lord Kitchener visited my camp this morning, and he thanked me and the men under me for the good work they had done. I now have about 500 men and 30 officers in my regiment, 6 Colt's quick-firing guns, two pom poms and a pack train of 70 mules. The mule train is in charge of Johnnie Davis, a son of Mr. Davis, now Collector of Customs at Dawson. Quite a lot of the old scouts have returned here from Canada and from England, and have rejoined me, and they are all good fighters. I think you will find a lot of them will settle in this country when the war is over. You should come out here. Best wishes to you and all my friends. “

Montreal Star, June 20th 1902

CANADIANS RETURNING
[/b]

Eighty Members of the Scouts Sailed on June 6th

(G. N. W. Press Despatch)

Montreal, June 20:

A Star cable from London says: -- The following Canadian Scouts left the Capr for England by the steamship Roslin Castle on the 6th inst: - Lieutenants Ryan, Thompson and Callaghan: Surgeons Ross and McDonald and 76 men. They are due at Southampton on July 4th.

Globe, November 3rd 1902, Page 1, Column 5

HONOURS FOR CANADIANS
FURTHER DECORATIONS HAVE BEEN GAZETTED
[/b]

Surgeon-Major Devine and Sergts.
Bliss and Dale and Private
Stallwood Decorated

(Montreal Star Cable)

London Nov. 1 –

Surgeon Major Devine is gazetted for the Distinguished Service Orde,

The following are to receive the Distinguished Conduct Medal :-- Pte. R. J. Stallwood of the Canadian Scouts and Sergts. Bliss and Dale of the Canadian Rifles.

Surgeon Major Devine belongs to the 90th Rifles of Winnipeg and the medical officer with the second contingent, First Battalion, Canadian Mounted Rifles.

Pte. R. J. Stallwood, 13th Field Battery C.A., went to South Africa with “C” Battery, Brigade Division, Royal Canadian Artillery.

Globe, June 26th 1903, Page 2, Column 4

DEATH OF LIEUTENANT CUMMINS
A QUEBEC HERO WHO SERVED IN SOUTH AFRICA
[/b]

( G.N.W. Press Despatch )

Magog Quebec, June 24: –

Lieutenant Hugh Marston Cummins of this town died of enteric fever at the hospital at Pretoria, South Africa, June 20. The deceased was the oldest son of Mr. and Mrs. N. W. Cummins, was morn at Cawnpore, India, February 24, 1880 was educated at Bishop's College, Lennoxville. At the time the South Africa war broke out he was employed in the Eastern Townships Bank. Like many other brave boys, he resigned his position and joined the second contingent. He was promoted to Sergeant Major. When the contingent returned to Canada he remained, joining Howard's Canadian Scouts, where he was promoted to Lieutenant. After the war he spent a few months at his home in Magog, and then returned to South Africa, where he was stricken down.
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds