Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Death of Terry Sole 6 years 7 months ago #55856

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 740
Earlier I read on another forum a brief notification that Terry Sole, author of the book 'God, Queen and Colony', was murdered last week. He is simply one more name added to the really shocking list of the victims of violent crime in South Africa. So unremarkable is this death that I could find no report of it in local news media.

Terry Sole's magnum opus may be little known amongst Boer War enthusiasts, but it is a remarkable record of 'The Colonial Volunteer and Native Regiments in the Zulu War 1879'. Terry scoured libraries and archives far and wide to bring together in one book all that might ever be known about the Colonials and their regiments in a war that still commands a special place in British military history. Terry's task was necessary because the records of Colonials in that war, which were supposedly safely preserved in Britain, were sacrificed to help fill a paper shortage during World War I. (The British sometimes did, and probably still do make it very difficult for Empire Loyalists to keep faith.)

Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Death of Terry Sole 6 years 7 months ago #55863

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Brett

I remember Terry very well as a member of the Medal Society. There was a report on 27th September in the Edenvale News, a local newspaper. Although it does not mention his name, it does mention the street and I have visited Terry in the same street so am sure the report refers to him. Such a terrible loss of someone who has contributed so much and all for a TV.

The body of a 77-year-old man was found by his brother-in-law this morning inside his house on Palliser Road in Edenvale.

It is believed he died during a scuffle, possibly with armed robbers, on Monday.

Sebenza SAPS spokesperson Sgt Sharon Mahamba-Tsotsotso said a sliding door was broken from the outside and the house keys were missing.

“He was murdered. He had been beaten and strangled. The deceased had bruises around his neck. A television set was also removed from the Palliser Road house,” said Mahamba-Tsotsotso.

She said the deceased had been the victim of two residential burglaries in the last two months.

Paramedics believe the man died on Monday. He was last seen on September 21.

He was found this morning after a cleaning service arrived at the house and there was no reply.

The cleaning service contacted the man’s brother-in-law who had a set of house keys.

“The brother-in-law went to the house, opened it and the man’s body was found,” said Mahamba-Tsotsotso.

She urged senior citizens not to allow strangers onto their properties.

“As a community we must also look out for our elderly and make sure you know your neighbour,” she said.

Regards
Jon
The following user(s) said Thank You: QSAMIKE, Rory

Death of Terry Sole 6 years 7 months ago #55869

• Brett Hendey
Jon
Thank you for filling in the details of the murder. The lack of a name explains why I could not trace the incident in online news media,
In cases like this, if there is not an arrest soon, it is unlikely that the culprits will ever be apprehended.
Regards
Brett

Death of Terry Sole 6 years 7 months ago #55946

• Bonita Vermaak
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Mornning

Mr Terry Sole was my boss and a good friend. He was indeed Murdered on 25 September 2017 in his home, it was sadly very brutal but I am pleased to inform you all that on 5 October 2017 at 1pm thee suspects were apprehended. Terry's funeral was held on Friday 6 October, so al the friends and family were relieved to know that the criminals who did this horrific murder were caught.

Death of Terry Sole 6 years 7 months ago #55952

• Brett Hendey
Thank you for that update, Bonita. It is good to know that the culprits have been apprehended. Now we must hope that there is no miscarriage of justice. Miscarriages , like murders, are all too common in South Africa.

Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.910 seconds