• Page:

TOPIC:

BSAP at War 10 years 1 week ago #19369

• quickies
  • quickies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Has anybody got any unpublished articles or previously published articles they would like to contribute to a booklet in preparation about the BSAP's involvement in the ABW please?

I'm looking for material about events at Eland's River in early August 1900, where one member of the
BSAP was k.i.a. and one later d.o.w. at Krugersdorp on 3/9/1900.

Warmbaths on 3/9/1900, when one member of the BSAP was k.i.a.

Treurfontein on 21/1/1902 when three members of the Force were k.i.a.

7/3/1902 when four members of the BSAP were k.i.a. at Tweebosch.

Comment on where the sites in question are actually located and modern photographs showing what the
battle sites are like now with the author's interpretation of events.

Pictures of graves and if available any medals in members' collections would be appreciated.

I know, for instance, that Trp Mathias who died at Eland's River was buried at Swartruggens, but for
many years his grave was unmarked. That was until about 15 years ago a grave marker bearing his name
was found in a local municipal storeroom and was returned to the cemetery. The finding and relocation of
the marker makes an interesting and different addition to the story of the siege.

I have all the names and a few background details on all those who died if required.

As I said it doesn't matter if it is a previously published article.

Kind regards,

Geoff

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

BSAP at War 10 years 1 week ago #19370

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Geoff,

I was in touch with someone about the BSAP a few years ago. I will check his name and come back to you.

What is the aim of the booklet? Will it become an online resource?
Dr David Biggins

BSAP at War 10 years 1 week ago #19380

• quickies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dear Dave,

The UK Branch of the BSAP Regt. Association has for a number of years been publishing a series of booklets about the Force. If I can gather sufficient material about the BSAP's involvement in the ABW
they have agreed to publish it. I'm trying to find previously unknown stories and if previously published a different interpretation of events in the light of what can be seen on the ground today.

I have rec'd substantial contributions covering events in Bechuanaland.

I'm in possession of a previously unpublished document about the Siege of Mafeking, which gives a slightly different view of events. Nothing controversial.

I've got details of most of the BSAP SA War graves in Botswana and S.A. and in a lot of instances photographs of grave markers.

Any proceeds from the sale of the booklet will go to the BSAP Regt. Assoc. Welfare Fund. They
haven't published anything on line before and don't think they have any plans in this regard.

I suspect the person you know will be John Sutton in Jo'burg. In the late 1970's he wrote an
article about the Siege at Eland's River, with photographs and sketch plans of what the area is like
now. This was before the marker for Trp Mathias buried at Swartruggens was "found" and put back
on a grave in the cemetery. Unfortunately I can't remember who that person was who made the find, other than he was a very keen local historian. I know I should have made a note, but didn't think that 20 or
so years later I might need to have the name available.

My target is 60 000 words - say - 200 pages - but anything extra would be acceptable.

Pity Lionel Wulfsohn died - 2009 if I remember.

Kind regards,

Geoff

BSAP at War 10 years 1 week ago #19393

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Geoff,

That does sound a great project to be working on and it is especially good that you have sources some previously unpublished documents.

I will see if I have anything but I expect not.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

BSAP at War 10 years 6 days ago #19412

• quickies
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks David.

Don't know his call sign, but is Reon Synman of Klerksdorp a member of the
group please. If so would be a favour if you told him Geoff, who used to be
in Francistown would like to make comms please.

Kind regards,

Geoff

BSAP at War 2 years 4 months ago #80185

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Geoff,

It has been a long time since you posted on the site. I wanted to contact you to see if you have any other information on Trooper Mathias who was killed at Eland's River in August 1900.

I am currently researching a book on the DoM and would like to include relevant information on those besieged.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.489 seconds