Gold was discovered at Barberton in 1885 and it became a large mining centre, populated predominantly by ‘Uitlanders’. After the declaration of war, many Uitlanders fled and Barberton was held by the Boers until it was captured by the British on 13 September 1900.
The Barberton Town Guard were called out for active service on 8 December 1900 and was disbanded on 21 December 1901.
© Crown copyright images reproduced by permission of The National Archives, London, England. The National Archives give no warranty as to the accuracy, completeness or fitness for the purpose of the information provided. Images may be used only for purposes of research, private study or education. Applications for any other use should be made to The National Archives Image Library, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU, Tel: 020 8392 5225 Fax: 020 8392 5266.
|QSA and Supplementary roll pages||WO100/280||8||2.4|