Search Options:
Records per Page:

 Surname   Forename   No   Rank   Notes   Unit 
FarquharJohn39657PrivateSource: QSA Medal Rolls142nd Company, 31st Btn, IY
FarquharJoseph3LtLTGRA.  Ward 3, QSA (1) DoL. Initlal H on the QSA rollLadysmith TG
FarquharM GCaptainMID LG: 8 February 1901, page: 966. Source: General Buller. 9 November 1900. Re: Safeguard Lof C Ladysmith -Heidelburg
This page contains all the London Gazette pages for the Boer War
Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry
FarquharM GCaptainMID LG: 16 April 1901, page: 2612. Source: Field Marshal Roberts. 2 April 1901. Re: General mentions
This page contains all the London Gazette pages for the Boer War
Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry
FarquharM GLieutenantMID LG: 8 February 1901, page: 944. Source: General Buller. 30 March 1900. Re: Ladysmith
This page contains all the London Gazette pages for the Boer War
Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry
FarquharMoubray GoreCaptainFARQUHAR, MOUBRAY GORE, Captain, was born in 1862, son of Admiral Sir Arthur Farquhar, KCB, and Ellen (who died in 1898), daughter of S P Rickman. He served with the BSA Company's Forces in Matabeleland, 1893 (Medal) and in 1896 (clasp). He again saw active service in the South African War of 1899-1901; was mentioned in Despatches; received the Medal with seven clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 19 April, 1901]: "Moubray Gore Farquhar, Captain, Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". The Insignia were sent to the Commander-in-Chief in South Africa, and presented at Bulawayo. He became Lieutenant Colonel of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry we are told, in the Official 'History of the War in South Africa' (compiled by Major General Sir F Maurice, KCB, and published by Messrs Hurst and Blackett) (page 206): "In Natal itself two mounted corps, under the command of Major (local Lieutenant Colonel) A W Thorneycroft, Royal Scots Fusiliers, and Major (local Lieutenant Colonel) E C Bethune, 16th Lancers, were already being formed". Elsewhere we read that the corps was raised at Maritzburg, and on page 332 that it formed part of the mounted brigade commanded by Colonel the Earl of Dundonald. Thorneycroft and his men were engaged in the attempt to capture Hlangwhane Mountain at the Battle of Colenso. In the retreat, after Colenso, "Colonel Thorneycroft was told by Lord Dundonald to fall back slowly along the Gomba Spruit, protecting the flank of the South African Light Horse. His retreat, which was covered by the 13th Hussars and three companies of the Royal Fusiliers, was a good deal harassed by the enemy". In the Spion Kop Campaign a dismounted squadron of the South African Light Horse, supported by Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry, captured Bastion Hill. In the chapter on the capture and evacuation of Spion Kop, Sir F Maurice says that when Woodgate attacked Spion Kop on 24 January 1900, Thorneycroft offered his services as guide, and he was desired by Woodgate to take his men to the front and lead the column. Having climbed the hill and arrived at the edge of an open plateau, "Thorneycroft's men, who had been climbing in double files, halted, and having formed line, stole forward again over the crest with fixed bayonets, expectant of a volley which they had been previously ordered to receive by flinging themselves to the ground. Behind them, the Lancashire Fusiliers followed closely in column of double companies, single rank, about one hundred yards intervening between the companies. Suddenly a loud challenge, twice repeated in Dutch, rang out from the depths of the mist, followed by a burst of fire from a surprised Boer piquet, whose position was revealed by a line of dancing flashes from a dozen rifles. Flat upon the grass dropped the soldiers, and lay motionless in accordance with their orders, suffering few casualties, whilst the bullets whistled close above them for two or three minutes. Then when the magazines of the Mausers were nearly exhausted, and the fire slackened, the word was given, and the men, leaping to their feet, charged down upon the piquet, which disappeared into the protecting fog escaping with the loss of one man only. The rest of the Boer outposts upon the mountain, numbering some seventy men, vanished without offering opposition and undiscovered. Thus, at 4 am, by skill and good fortune, the summit of Spion Kop was almost bloodlessly delivered into our hands". Woodgate gave orders to entrench, which was done in the fog, and on very difficult ground, and when the mist lifted a little it was discovered that the entrenchments were wrongly placed. The Boers rallied and returned, and the fog began to disperse and disclosed Woodgate's position to the Boers. The troops, almost without cover, were almost surrounded by fire, and the Boer reinforcements arrived and began an enveloping movement. Woodgate was mortally wounded. The fight went on, watched by Buller through a telescope from Mount Alice. "Even at that distance, the energetic and courageous movements of a single officer—Thorneycroft—a man of great stature, were to be singled out from the swaying knots of figures", and General Buller suggested to Sir C Warren that Thorneycroft should be put in command. The situation had, however, become very critical. The official and other histories of the war tell the story of the lighting, and of the final evacuation of the hill. "Never since Inkerman", says Sir A Conan Doyle, in his 'Great Boer War' (page 199), "had we so grim a soldiers' battle. The company officers were superb ... Grenfell, of Thorneycroft's, was shot, and exclaimed, 'That's all right. It's not much'. A second wound made him remark, 'I can get on all right'. The third killed him". And in the end (page 202, 'Great Boer War'): "Thorneycroft saw the frightful havoc of one day, and he shrank from the thought of such another. 'Better six battalions safely down the hill than a mop up in the morning' said he, and he gave the word to retire. One who had met the troops as they staggered down has told me how far they were from being routed. In mixed array, but steadily and in order, the long thin line trudged through the darkness. Their parched lips would not articulate, but they whispered 'Water! where is water?' as they toiled upon their way. At the bottom of the hill they formed into regiments once more, and marched back to the camp. In the morning the blood-spattered hill-top, with its piles of dead and of wounded, was in the hands of Botha and his men, whose valour and perseverance deserved the victory which they had won. There is no doubt now that at 3 am of that morning Botha, knowing that the Rifles had carried Burger's position, regarded the affair as hopeless, and that no one was more astonished than he when he found, on the report of two scouts, that it was a victory and not a defeat which had come to him. How shall we sum up such an action save that it was a gallant attempt, gallantly carried out, and as gallantly met? On both sides the results of artillery fire during the war have been disappointing, but at Spion Kop beyond all question it was the Boer guns which won the action for them. So keen was the disappointment at home that there was a tendency to criticize the battle with some harshness, but it is difficult now, with the evidence at our command, to say what was left undone which could have altered the result. Had Thorneycroft known all that we know, he would have kept his grip upon the hill. On the face of it one finds it difficult to understand why so momentous a decision, upon which the whole operations depended, should have been left entirely to the judgment of one who in the morning had been a simple lieutenant colonel. 'Where are the bosses?' cried a Fusilier, and the historian can only repeat the question". Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry took a prominent part in the Relief of Ladysmith. When Northern Natal was being cleared, Thorneycroft's men were once more to the fore, on 13 May 1900, in the action at Helpmakaar, at Alleman's Nek and Laing's Nek. They took part also in the advance towards Komati Poort, and in the operations on the Johannesburg-Durban line. In the operations in the Orange River Colony they were engaged in the forcing of Springhaan Nek on 14 December 1900, and thereafter we read a great deal of the doings of Thorneycroft, now in command of a column. On 20 September 1901, Thorneycroft discovered, attacked and defeated the Boer leader, Kritzinger. Some of Thorneycroft's men were with Ternan when, in the course of his clearance of the vicinity of Bultfontein, he met with a reverse near Bultfontein 8 April, 1900. After this affair, which crippled Ternan for a time, he was ordered to Eensgevonden to refit. "This was effected", says Sir F Maurice, in Volume IV (page 489) of the Official History, "by 15 April, when, after escorting a convoy to Hoopstad, Ternan inarched to Bothaville on the 23rd. Thence he despatched Thorneycroft's MI to rejoin the officer from whom this veteran corps took its name. ThThorneycroft's Mounted Infantry
FarquharMowbray GoreCaptainResigned Appt 20 Nov 1901
Source: Nominal roll in WO127
Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry
FarquharOosMember of the late Legislative Assembly, Natal
160 of 580 awards
FarquharPSource: QSA and KSA medal rollsNew Zealand, 6th Contingent
FarquharPhillip George Address: Bushey Park.
Source: Attestation paper in WO126
Town Guard and District Mounted Troops
FarquharR2873PrivateQSA (5).
Source: QSA medal rolls
13th Hussars
FarquharR1st Battalion
Source: QSA and KSA medal rolls
Gordon Highlanders
FarquharRobertTrooper2nd Brabant's Horse
Source: Nominal roll in WO127
Brabant's Horse
FarquharSSource: QSA and KSA medal rollsTranskei Mounted Rifles
FarquharSSource: QSA and KSA medal rollsOrange River Colony Scouts
Page 13175 of 46549
<<First <Prev 13168 13169 13170 13171 13172 13173 1317413175 13176 13177 13178 13179 13180 13181 13182 Next> Last>>