Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 11 years 5 months ago #6341

• tracy-ann
  • tracy-ann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi I'm looking for any info with regards to a W HOLBOURN in the 2nd Boer War... any information greatfully received.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 11 years 5 months ago #6347

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon and welcome.
Lots of possibles, but we would need rather more information, anything else you can tell us?
Regards Frank

quote="tracy-ann" post=6341]Hi I'm looking for any info with regards to a W HOLBOURN in the 2nd Boer War... any information greatfully received.[/quote]
The following user(s) said Thank You: tracy-ann

Re: I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 11 years 5 months ago #6363

• tracy-ann
  • tracy-ann's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
My father has picked up his diary from an antique fair - we think he was born 27th Sept 1855. We think he was from Jersey and in the 1st East Lancashire Regiment, his brother was called John or James and we think he might have been a Quartermaster.

My father is just curious to know more about him.

Re: I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 11 years 5 months ago #6365

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good Evening,
Well there is a Lieut and Quarter Master W Holbourn 1st Battalion East Lancashire Regt shown in the medal roll WO100/284 page 319, think it will be him, his QSA was awarded with the clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Johannesburg.
Frank

I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 7 years 3 months ago #51096

• Sue in Cheshire
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I'm just starting my family history, William Holbourn was my great grandfather(Mothers Side) he was a Quarter Master in the East Lancs. When in the ranks he went to Bengal, Afganistan & Gibralter following his commission he was again in Bengal, Afganistan,South Africa, Chital Relief. I have some of his visitor cards and these are in the title Major. When a sergeant in the East Lanks he won a shooting competition for which he received a gold fob chain decoration. I hope to find out more

I'm looking for informaton on W HOLBOURN, 2nd Boer War. 7 years 3 months ago #51111

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Sue
The volume "War Services of Officers of the Army, etc" tells us that "Holbourn, W, Hon. Capt., Qr-Mr. E.Lancs.R) served in Afghanistan and received the Afghan War medal (1878-80), was on Operations in Chitral (1895) and received the Medal and clasp. During the South African war, operations in the Orange Free State, Feb. to May 1900, including actions at Karee Siding, Vet River (5/6 May), and Zand River. Operations in the Transvaal in May 1900, including action near Johannesburg. Operations in the Transvaal, 20/11/1900 to 11/01, Mentioned in Despatches, London Gazette, 10/9/1901. Granted hon. rank of Captain. Queen's Medal with four clasps.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sue in Cheshire

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.523 seconds