Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 5 years 3 months ago #61553

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Hello David

The QSA to the NMR on next week's Kaplan auction is part of the Terry Sole collection, I wonder if this was the other half that was going to be sold by Spink

Regards
Jon
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 5 years 3 months ago #61560

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Perhaps this is the remainder of his collection which did have a strong Zulu War focus. Michael does call it the 'remainder'. The latest catalogue feels more rushed than previous auctions.
Dr David Biggins

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 5 years 3 months ago #61718

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From eBay

Extremely Scarce Group of Five Medals Boer War and WW1 to WO Cl 2 F H Tilke, Devon Regt

Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 1 clasp, Elandslaagte (4753 Cpl. F. H. Tilke, Devon: Regt.) clear ghosted dates
King’s South Africa 1901-02, 1 clasp, South Africa 1902 (4753 Pte. F. H. Tilke. Devon: Regt.)
1914-15 Star (7490 Sjt. F. H. Tilke, Devon. R.)
British War and Victory Medals (7490 W.O. Cl.2. F. H. Tilke. Devon. R.)

Also served as 78250 WO Cl 2, 7/Tank Corps

Died of wounds 12/11/1918 - one day after the Armistice! Commemorated on the Bideford War Memorial

Originally 4753 Private Francis Henry Tilke of the 1st Battalion, the Devonshire Regiment. Son of William and Ann Tilke. Born in Bideford in the September Quarter of 1878. He was severely wounded at Elandslaagte 21 Oct 1899 at the age of 21, where the Devons were heavily engaged alongside the Gordons and Manchesters in the second battle following the Boer invasion of Natal and just before the Siege of Ladysmith. At Elandslaagte the charge of the 5th Lancers and Imperial Light Horse was perhaps more properly the last British Cavalry charge (being a couple of years after Omdurman). He must have made some sort of a recovery because the 1901 census shows him in the Town Barracks, Exeter, training new recruits to the Regiment.

Awarded the Queen's South Africa medal 1899 - 1902 with a single clasp for Elandslaagte - one of only twelve men of the Devonshire regiment to receive a single clasp. Apparently, he recovered sufficiently to be able to return to South Africa in 1902 where he went on to earn a South Africa 1902 clasp on his King's Medal - this time, one of only four awarded to the regiment. The combination of these two single clasps is extremely rare - you are unlikely to find another such group.

In the Great War he served in the Devonshire Regiment earning the right to wear a wound stripe as a result of wounds received on 25th August 1916 most likely in connection with the Devons attack on Fricourt on The Somme. Whilst I have been unable to discover which battalion of the Devons he was with at this time, it was most likely to have been 9th Devons who would have had experienced NCOs, being a New Army unit, and I can find no evidence that he served elsewhere than the Western Front. If so, it is likely that he went over the top at Mansell Copse on 1st July 1916, where so many of his comrades are to be found in the Devonshire Trench Cemetery.

Latterly he served with 7th Tank Corps as a Company Sergeant Major with whom he was wounded again near the end of the war dying 12/11/18. He is buried at Villers-Bretonneux Military Cemetery. He was wounded fatally this time probably during the Tank Corps attacks on the Hindenburg Line starting late September 1918 and during which some 2,400 Officers and Men of the Corps became casualties.

Comes with copy medal rolls and casualty roll page for Boer War, WW1 MIC, wound and "died of wounds" records and photograph in uniform (WW1) wearing his QSA and KSA ribbons

And only asking £2,375.00
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 5 years 3 months ago #61778

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is a little worrying that this seller appears to believe the Imperial Light Horse was a cavalry regiment in the British Army.

djb wrote: From eBay

At Elandslaagte the charge of the 5th Lancers and Imperial Light Horse was perhaps more properly the last British Cavalry charge (being a couple of years after Omdurman).

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 4 years 11 months ago #63064

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Spink

I thought I should include a screenshot to show the estimate as you would surely have thought a mistake had been made had I typed it myself.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSAs with clasp Elandslaagte 4 years 11 months ago #63067

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I certainly think someone has made a mistake!

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.722 seconds