TOPIC:

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 months ago #7135

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Frank,

Would that indicate the switch in position of the 1911 Coronation Medal from before to after the QSA? I have a couple of such examples but, as they are both to South African units, I don't know if they would ever have been worn. I will go and have a look.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 months ago #7136

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
David,
That is exactly what I am suggesting!
Regards Frank

djb wrote: Frank,

Would that indicate the switch in position of the 1911 Coronation Medal from before to after the QSA? I have a couple of such examples but, as they are both to South African units, I don't know if they would ever have been worn. I will go and have a look.

Kind regards
David

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 months ago #7141

• Frank Kelley
Not really an out of the way price, but, as it was in South Africa, you have to think are HM Customs going to get their hands on it first, is it going to be delayed and surcharged, how much am I going to have to pay and when shall I receive it?

djb wrote: I was watching an eBay auction recently which consisted of a CGH GSM (Pte C T Highlanders) and QSA (4) (Lt W Gunn Kaffn Rifles). In the end it sold for £776 and not to me sadly.

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 months ago #7142

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Everyone.....

I was seriously looking at this Wepener but thought better of it.....

www.frontiermedals.com/index.php?main_pa...=2_7&products_id=392

Mike

Hello Mike

Make him an offer - he has had it for at least 12 months.

Good luck!
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 weeks ago #8632

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
There is an intriguing QSA on offer at Dublin Medals. Intriguing because of the combination with the Wepener clasps. I haven't looked into the recipient's records as yet.

CORPORAL E. JONES, KITCHENER'S FIGHTING SCOUTS (LATE KAFFRARIAN RIFLES). Queen's South Africa Medal, 7 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Wepener, Transvaal, Diamon
d Hill, Wittebergen, South Africa 1901 (officially impressed: 368 CPL: E. JONES. KITCHENER'S F.S.).

Pawnbroker's code lightly scratched in obverse field in front of bust, otherwise Almost Extremely Fine and the Wepener clasp very rare on a medal named to Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.

Medal accompanied by copy medal rolls and copy Attestation Form for Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Kaffrarian Rifles QSA medal roll confirms service initially as 1072 Private,
Kaffrarian Rifles, entitled Wepener, Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps and notes Orange Free State clasp had been deleted from this roll because it had previously been issued off the roll for Kitchener's Fighting Scouts, and confirming that Jones had already been issued with the Diamond Hill clasp, although there is no note as to which roll that particular clasp was issued off. Roll for 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts confirms service as 368 Corporal, entitled SA 1901 clasp and notes that recipient had previously seen service with the Kaffrarian Rifles.

Interestingly, one of the QSA roll for 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts lists Privates 367 Harry Jones, 369 John Jones and 370 Hugh Jones (but no 368 Ernest Jones on this particular roll, Ernest Jones being listed separately on a different roll). The four were presumably brothers who enlisted together into the 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.
Ernest Jones appears to have been one of the first recruits to Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts, enlisting at Durban on 1st December 1900, an initially being allocated regimental number 4. For some reason he subsequently re-enlisted and was given the regimental number 368 (the two battalions of Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts were raised in Cape Colony and Natal in December 1900).

QSA with Wepener clasp named to Kitchener's Fighting Scouts rare. British Battles and Medals records 8 Wepener clasps to the 2nd Battalion Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Since the Defence of Wepener covered the period 9th - 25th April 1900, and both battalions of Kitchener's Fighting Scouts were not raised until December 1900, these 8 men must all have been men who transferred from the Kaffrarian Rifles or other units present at the defence.

Undoubtedly a unique combination of clasps to the Kaffrarian Rifles or Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.
Dr David Biggins

Re: QSAs with the clasp Wepener 11 years 3 weeks ago #8635

• Frank Kelley
Hello David,
Where does the Daimond Hill come from? I looked at this the other week for another member of this forum, I think the dealer has misinterpreted what he has seen on a particular roll page, then there was the matter of the OFS as well.
Regards Frank

djb wrote: There is an intriguing QSA on offer at Dublin Medals. Intriguing because of the combination with the Wepener clasps. I haven't looked into the recipient's records as yet.

CORPORAL E. JONES, KITCHENER'S FIGHTING SCOUTS (LATE KAFFRARIAN RIFLES). Queen's South Africa Medal, 7 clasps, Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Wepener, Transvaal, Diamon
d Hill, Wittebergen, South Africa 1901 (officially impressed: 368 CPL: E. JONES. KITCHENER'S F.S.).

Pawnbroker's code lightly scratched in obverse field in front of bust, otherwise Almost Extremely Fine and the Wepener clasp very rare on a medal named to Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.

Medal accompanied by copy medal rolls and copy Attestation Form for Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Kaffrarian Rifles QSA medal roll confirms service initially as 1072 Private,
Kaffrarian Rifles, entitled Wepener, Wittebergen, Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps and notes Orange Free State clasp had been deleted from this roll because it had previously been issued off the roll for Kitchener's Fighting Scouts, and confirming that Jones had already been issued with the Diamond Hill clasp, although there is no note as to which roll that particular clasp was issued off. Roll for 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts confirms service as 368 Corporal, entitled SA 1901 clasp and notes that recipient had previously seen service with the Kaffrarian Rifles.

Interestingly, one of the QSA roll for 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts lists Privates 367 Harry Jones, 369 John Jones and 370 Hugh Jones (but no 368 Ernest Jones on this particular roll, Ernest Jones being listed separately on a different roll). The four were presumably brothers who enlisted together into the 2nd Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.
Ernest Jones appears to have been one of the first recruits to Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts, enlisting at Durban on 1st December 1900, an initially being allocated regimental number 4. For some reason he subsequently re-enlisted and was given the regimental number 368 (the two battalions of Kitchener’s Fighting Scouts were raised in Cape Colony and Natal in December 1900).

QSA with Wepener clasp named to Kitchener's Fighting Scouts rare. British Battles and Medals records 8 Wepener clasps to the 2nd Battalion Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Since the Defence of Wepener covered the period 9th - 25th April 1900, and both battalions of Kitchener's Fighting Scouts were not raised until December 1900, these 8 men must all have been men who transferred from the Kaffrarian Rifles or other units present at the defence.

Undoubtedly a unique combination of clasps to the Kaffrarian Rifles or Kitchener's Fighting Scouts.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.055 seconds